Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st December 2012, 04:31 PM   #1311
Geosto is offline Geosto  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi everyone
I like to share with you my creation of the Baby Huey.
This was made as part of the TubeSociety a course for building and designing valve amp's given by Menno vd Veen.
In this design i wanted to have some extra power there fore i put an extra set of EL84 tube's in the amp.
A part of this extra power is used to create some extra local feedback by increasing the resistor in the middle i have used 50K for this one.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...1&d=1356974775
And this is how it looks like.
Click the image to open in full size.

Regards George
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1060470.JPG (797.4 KB, 559 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MOD-09-VERSTERKER.pdf (42.5 KB, 174 views)
Old 1st January 2013, 01:13 AM   #1312
scott17 is offline scott17  United States
diyAudio Member

Beautiful. Very nice.

I'm sure they sound as good as they look.

Scott
Old 1st January 2013, 01:17 AM   #1313
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

I like Black. Very nice.
Old 26th January 2013, 12:53 AM   #1314
diyAudio Member

Unhappy Strange PSU noise?!

Hi all,

I've been slowly building up my 6F6 version of the baby huey and today was the first time of fired up the PSU (no tubes or signal circuits connected). All voltages were as they should be but there was a strange buzzing noise coming from the circuit board. It sounded like a high voltage electrical discharge that varied as I changed the mains voltage with my variac....

The next hour or so was spend de-construction the PSU until I was left with only the basic HV diodes, subbers, CLC and bleed resistor...still the noise remained. Eventually I removed the 10nf snubbers that are across the HV diodes and hey presto problem fixed!

I've never come across this noise before and am at a loss as to what is happening. Can anyone help me understand what is happening with the snubbers? These are ceramic 10nf 3KV caps and the HV diodes are IXYS FRED 1200V 11A TO-220's.

Thanks in advance...
Old 26th January 2013, 01:21 AM   #1315
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member

Don't damp (snub) a high-speed diode. They get cranky. You figured out the answer, however!
Old 26th January 2013, 01:39 AM   #1316
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the quick response! I wasn't aware that you shouldn't put snubbers across high speed diodes....you learn something new every day!
Old 27th January 2013, 02:39 PM   #1317
fmena is offline fmena  Canada
diyAudio Member

I'm yet another person (newbie) embarking on building a Baby Huey and have already ordered the output-transformers (MQ565) from Magnequest. These have the UL taps. I'm at the point of reading and re-reading many of the posts in this thread as for components needed

I wish to build the power supply seen on post #1287 and was wondering on the value of the choke. Am I correct in assuming that I could use the LL1673 (2.5 - 20 H) for this purpose?
http://www.lundahl.se/pdfs/datash/1673.pdf
If I correctly understand the choke pdf shown above, I can wire the choke to get different values. Would 5H be appropriate for this power supply in post #1287?

Cheers
Frank M

Last edited by fmena; 27th January 2013 at 02:40 PM. Reason: link didn't work
Old 27th January 2013, 03:41 PM   #1318
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

LL1673 is an excellent choice.
Old 27th January 2013, 03:56 PM   #1319
surfstu is offline surfstu  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

will the choke make a noticeable difference? I'm planning on a similar supply for the early ecl86 baby huey design but the Lundahl chokes are near 150!

and why does no one use the GZ34 for rectification? I only ask because I already have the octal socket for it in my chassis....
Old 27th January 2013, 04:01 PM   #1320
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

GZ34 is as good a choice as any. Chokes can make a difference. But any will do. Minute differences. You'll only need one btw.

Hide this!Advertise here!