EL84 Amp - Baby Huey - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th April 2006, 08:13 AM   #111
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by ttan98
a total of 8 tubes(in 4 per side in PP mode) per channel giving a total of about 35watts per channel, close to class A mode.
Probably closer to 15W in Class A.

dave
Old 13th April 2006, 01:31 PM   #112
ttan98 is offline ttan98  Australia
diyAudio Member

2- EL84 tubes in PP operating in Pure Class A(operate at max limit) is about 12W(+/-1W), 4 tubes will give about 24 Watts, so design conservatively it will operate at 20W in pure Class A.

If you want more power, bias it in class AB mode it will give more about 35W easily or one bias the tube to suit one's liking.

One can get cheap and good quality russian EL84 or 6P14P-EV(military version) at about AUD$2-3 per tube. I just bought 4 Russian tubes (matched quad pairs for US$12.50) from Ebay.

I have not decided yet so don't put our hopes too high. I have experience in building and designing valve amp. Alternatively I am thinking of building a Nelson Pass Class A single ended, giving out 30-40 watts per side. I have all the info and parts are easily obtainable and able to get the PCB easily.... the circuit is simple to follow and soldered. The difficult is the heat generated by the mosfets, the heat sink is huge.
Old 13th April 2006, 01:40 PM   #113
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

I can't help but think you may be further ahead running one pair of 6L6GC conservatively. Heater power (for a pair) is less than a quad of 6BQ5. With 360V plate in AB1 you'll get about 18W (out of RC-27). I'm sure 7591A's will perform similarly.

I'd stick with the 12~14 watt rating for a pair or move up to a more suitable tube for higher power.

-Chris
Old 13th April 2006, 04:31 PM   #114
Yvesm is offline Yvesm  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by anatech
I can't help but think you may be further ahead running one pair of 6L6GC conservatively. Heater power (for a pair) is less than a quad of 6BQ5. With 360V plate in AB1 you'll get about 18W (out of RC-27). I'm sure 7591A's will perform similarly.

I'd stick with the 12~14 watt rating for a pair or move up to a more suitable tube for higher power.

-Chris
Yes, but you will need three times the grid drive

Yves.
Old 13th April 2006, 04:51 PM   #115
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Yves,
28.3V compared to 35V (A1) or 45V (AB1) for the 6L6.

-Chris

Edit: 7591A appears to require less drive, 31V for 30W output (350V plate).
Old 15th April 2006, 04:44 AM   #116
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
Quote:
Originally posted by ttan98
2- EL84 tubes in PP operating in Pure Class A(operate at max limit) is about 12W(+/-1W), 4 tubes will give about 24 Watts, so design conservatively it will operate at 20W in pure Class A.... Alternatively I am thinking of building a Nelson Pass Class A single ended, giving out 30-40 watts per side. I have all the info and parts are easily obtainable and able to get the PCB easily.... the circuit is simple to follow and soldered. The difficult is the heat generated by the mosfets, the heat sink is huge.
between these 2 which is preferred? 20W EL84 v/s 30-40W SS (NP)?
Old 15th April 2006, 07:29 AM   #117
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by navin
20W EL84 v/s 30-40W SS (NP)?
Don't know about that, but i prefer our 4W EL84 (triode class a) vrs the 15W miniA, At least on the speakers we typically use. One thing we found very interesting in one session was that the tube amp had better bass.

dave
Old 15th April 2006, 01:50 PM   #118
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Dave,
Quote:
One thing we found very interesting in one session was that the tube amp had better bass.
Is it possible that may be a damping factor issue?

-Chris
Old 16th April 2006, 05:54 AM   #119
ttan98 is offline ttan98  Australia
diyAudio Member

I have not owned a single ended amp before it would be interesting to build one and compare it with a push pull valve with the same power output.

There will be some differences in sound quality between the 2 amp. and each has its own characteristics besides the influence of components and contruction of the amp. I still cannot pin point the diff. characteristics(*) as yet as I have not owned or listened to one for a lengthy period of time. That is the reason I like to build one. I don't think one amp better than the another it depends on individual taste and mood at the time of listening.

(*)Characteristics I mean for example, pentode vs triode in push pull topology. Those who have compared between these 2 modes will know what I mean.
Old 16th April 2006, 07:51 AM   #120
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by anatech
Is it possible that may be a damping factor issue?
possibly... but i expect the SS amp would have higher damping factor (althou neither of them is going to be what would be considered high)

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!