• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Picture of my first project 300B

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum so go easy on me. I thougt I'd share a picture of one of my monoblocks with you. It's my first project and I'm pretty proud. It sounds terrific although I'm not too happy about the hum (5mV)

Attachments

• rtotaal1.jpg
    rtotaal1.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 982
Yes, there's a hum-balance pot on the 300B heaters.
Grounding the outsides of the trannies ? Do you mean the steel cases they're in or the transformer itself ? I use a powertransformer with a static shield and that's grounded but maybe it's a good idea to ground the cases as well... Where's my soldering iron....The cases of the capacitors share a groundplane (see picture)

Attachments

• under.jpg
    under.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 926
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
RED OCTOBER

Hi,

At 50USD each that is not even all that expensive.
I've seen prices at quite a bit more than that.

Trouble with stuff like this is what you're going to pay in a couple of years.

So better start saving,you're never want to go back to the regular stuff after the Red Octobers! ;)

Oh well,

Hello Tomatito,

Very nice indeed. Thanks for the underside pic. I am the one who emailed you earlier this month about your meter you have installed in your amp. Glad you joined this board. There, as far as I know, are two of us who are currently working on the JE labs 300b amp, Ciscokid and myself. CK is alot further along than myself. Anyway, don't hesitate to chime in when I post a question, I will need a lot of serious, thoughtful, insightful and humorus help in the very near future. ;)

Very good job!

I would put a copper plate over the chassis for the looks.
look at my amp.

Regarding the hum issue,do you have dc filament in the 300b?

I have a AudioNote kit one, and hum is there also. I think these babies can't live without some hum.

Is it audible when music is on? In my setup I can only hear it in the tweeters at total silence.

Attachments

• img_1907a.jpg
    img_1907a.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 393
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.