• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Is 12B4/A good for differential pair?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, I didn't know whether to tack this on to one of the existing 12B4 threads, but as they seem focused on line stages, I thought it might be threadjacking.

So, basically, as the 12B4 is getting rave reviews as a low gain single ended line stage, my question is "would it also give good results in a differential stage with a higher gain (say 20)"? I have yet to come across any schematics for such an application. I guess the problem is with its low mu, you need several to get the required gain and that seems inelegant/wasteful?

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Depends on what you want the differential pair to do. If you're looking for good CMRR, then a high-mu valve is better. If you need more gain than a 12B4 can provide, you'd do better with a 6SL7 or ECC83, then follow it up with DC coupled cathode followers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.