• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tubes and RoHS compliance?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was wondering, is it still possible to make tube amplifiers (for commercial purposes) after 1 july 2006, the day the RoHS directive becomes effective?

For those unknown to RoHS: it's a restriction on hazardous substances, mostly aimed at lead, chromium and other similar heavy metals. The way RoHS compliance is usually enforced is that you have maintain a huge list wherein the RoHS-conformity of each part is listed. Fat chance of getting a RoHS-list from RCA, Philips or Pope...

Legislation....

Unfortunately, he's NOT joking!

Lately it seems, especially in the Netherlands and Holland, that a huge amount of new legislation relating to the manufacture of anything, especially electical gear have come into effect...

Wont be long before the UK follow suit...........

I know, that here in the UK, that tubes and CRT's need special disposal due to the lead in the glass.......

I was OK with this stuff when it was about little hungry kids eating paint chips... I haven't heard of too many tikes eating circuit boards.

Why not pass a law that says all electronics must last ten years instead of 2. If we quit building junk in the first place; there wouldn't be so much to throw away.

:mad:

If we quit building junk in the first place; there wouldn't be so much to throw away.

Sony will just force DRM legislation to make your player self-destruct in 2 years anyway.

What I find odd, is though Canada/US has no RoHS-like laws, RoHS compliant components are so abundant here that I could make kits RoHS compatible (without the tubes) without spending a penny more.

I guess I don't understand why electronics containing lead cannot be properly labeled and recycled... this was d@mned popular when things contained more gold. The most electronic home probably contains less than a pound of lead... there is 50 lbs of lead under the hood of the car! Cadmium makes lead look like vanilla icecream... look at all the gutless portable tools people are building (and buying).

I do alot of surface mount cr@p with very large and very small components on the same board. The oven temperature profile for lead free solders is higher in temperature and shorter in time. This makes it harder to build mixed technology/hybrid board styles.

I agree with with SY... I think it is more about politics. I'd like to see a list of the products that are excluded from the RoSH initiative... THAT would be telling.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

What I find odd, is though Canada/US has no RoHS-like laws, RoHS compliant components are so abundant here that I could make kits RoHS compatible (without the tubes) without spending a penny more.

There may not be any laws here....yet. But since most modern electronics for US / Canada consumption are designed to be manufactured in another country, and possibly sold there (if they are even designed here). With this in mind most component vendors are phasing out their non RoHS compliant parts.

I work for a major electronics company. Most of the products designed in the facility are not sold in Europe. As of Jan 1. all of the products designed here must be RoHS compliant. It is only a matter of time before RoHS is world wide.

Good luck finding RoHS compliant tube sockets.

Hi Tubelab!

tubelab.com said:
Good luck finding RoHS compliant tube sockets.

Indeed.

However there is a method and I have used it as a replacement for odd sockets in short supply (like compactron). Use the individual "pin sockets" available for IC's and wires and insert them in a PCB with a compactron form. Instant (and RoHS) socket! :) The cost is ballpark for a US-obtained oddball socket.

The problem is durability compared to the ceramic compactron socket. And of course, the cost is far more than 7 or 9-pin minature.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
RoHS does not apply to parts used for repair of existing equipment. It will be interesting to see what RoHS compliant tube guitar amps show up.

I have long argued against "junk" manufacture, as you are poobah. I also believe SY is at least partially correct. We all lose because the correct choices were not made years ago.

$$$$

-Chris

You know,

I might complain, but I would pay more for a TV (50 - 100%) and be happy knowing that whoever built had some medical plan.

World trade is here to stay... rising energy costs for transportation of goods will be "the great leveler" and drive the re-birth of local industry... thank god for capitalism.

Repost of a comment I made in a Pb free solder thread:

Lets hope this board doesnt have to start covering diy smelting.

I live near a coal burning powerplant built in 1954. It puts out ~5,400,000 pounds of toxic pollution ino the air each year. This includes an admitted 361 pounds of mercury. Also emitted are 750 pounds of lead, 800 pounds of arsenic, 635 pounds of chromium compounds, and 1,300 pounds of barium compounds.

There was action about this, but that stopped with the "Clear Skies" act. Its absurd we have to worry about solder with stuff like this in our backyards.

As an aside, coal contains over 1ppm of uranium and 3ppm of thorium.

Quote:

The real idea is to make small electronics manufacture as difficult and impractical as possible to prevent any serious competition with the big, well-established, government-favored companies. We call this law "The Philips Protection Act."

SY is right on.

Lets favor the large companies and lets continue making non repairable disposable junk so that mega profit can be made and the fat cats can enjoy their high class standard of living.

You know,

I had a good Zenith TV... first thing I bought after a divorce and other nasty things. 7 years on one TV... fly back took a dump... I replaced it... measured all voltages... all good... blew up again 3 weeks later. Made the picture tube safe and laid it out for pick-up.

I'm sure I could have found the problem... given time. But every single d@mned part designed right at the breaking point... ugly.

I should have bought the whole board... $10 more probably...

:rolleyes:

I say evolution goes forward; despite all our socialized attempts to defeat it, on the basis of who can survive industrial chemicals.

A lot of people, even here, hurl turds at the chinese. Say what you will, but they are the FIRST country to realize that population is over-taxing the planet.

It's all a very mixed up pile of of doo.

glad i'm old... 47 (not as old as SY)

Yeah, but it does make you wonder how the EC thinks about businesses. As I see it, the EC favors two or three types of business-models:

1) you work in production, and the large company where you work for is OK with you to make a split-up, which has the advantage that you can take written-off machinery with you, and that you've got easy access to 'correcty regulated' stuff.
2) you're one of those entrepeneurs who's able to convince a bank with a $1-million investment plan....
3) you're into services.

...and especially the last part annoys me deeply. In practice, RoHS and other conformity are used by consultancy firms to extort self-employed businesses by the creation of lots of fear, uncertainty and doubt. Charging $100 for a freely available overview of the EC-regulations on CE-marking, or $300 for a word document which explains how to set up an ISO-9001 correct 'technical document' explaining your production process is something I've got no words for.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.