• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Alps attenuators

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been searching, but I can't find it anymore. Somewhere someone warned for Alps stepped attenuators, they would be fake, as Alps would never have made such things.

I bought one of those:eek: so my question is: have I been ripped off?

(I haven't had the chance to use them and hear for myself)

The real stepped Alps, the RK50.
$800 retail in Europe, +3 months order time..

www3.alps.co.jp/WebObjects/catalog.woa/PDF/E/Potentiometer/MetalShaft/RK501/RK501.PDF

Attachments

• stepped alps.jpg
    stepped alps.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 842
Hi,

I too used the blue alps form HK. They worked ok for a while, then started having various problems. On one of mine, one of the sides started dropping out the audio from about position 9:00 until 12:00 :whazzat:

All four alp blues that I had purchased came from a Hong Kong ebay seller. All had intermitted popping sounds when changing volume. I finally solved that issued by taking the grid to ground with a 10k resister.

I have since replaced my blues with blacks and really like the sound.

Here is a picture of one blue and one black alps: A blue and black ALPS. Just click the NEXT button to see other pics.

Pardon my site, it is very much under construction and I have not added much text to pictures.

Hope this helps.
ck

Vishay Dale step attenuator from Taiwan

I bought two of them and I thought they are good. Very unfortunately, I found that the design of it is really BAD!!!!!!!!

First I had in installed in my line amp and it sound a little bright. Then, I tested them by feeding a 10kHz squarewave and measured the output with an oscilloscope. I noticed that there are very high spike appears at the rising and falling edges. This happens the worst at lower volume position.

After investigating it for sometimes, I found that the spikes were caused by coupling inside the switch itself.

I e-mailed the seller but he didn't give me any answer to the problem.

My advise is :- Don't buy those unless you see the test reports.

Johnny

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.