CLCLC PSU for 6P14P-EV PP - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th January 2006, 09:57 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default CLCLC PSU for 6P14P-EV PP

Just want to run a quick question by you all (yes it concerns the EL84 amp I have been stuck on for what seems like an eternity, not that I haven't been doing other things ).

I am considering foregoing SS regulation/filtering and looking at an all-iron unregulated PSU, say CLCLC. So I wanted to check out exactly what that would entail. Tubes are a 6CA4 and 4 of 6P14P-EV. What capacitor values are appropriate for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd positions? Yes, I will simulate with PSUD II but I was hoping for guidance/guesstimates.

Also, for the current rating of the chokes, what is appropriate? Is it safe to just look at plate and bias currents and say something like 150 mA is enough, or should a safety factor be added?
Old 10th January 2006, 10:24 PM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Do it logically. What's your desired signal to noise ratio? What is the power supply rejection and gain of each stage? Armed with that, reasonable starting values can be guessed.

Hide this!Advertise here!