• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

se//

6L6//EL34 singed

Attachments

• image_00028.jpg
    image_00028.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 2,596
So after many hours of listening and i mean listening i have decided to add a tweeter to this setup with a smal cap. ( cap came with the tweeter from my book shelf speakers i mod'ed a while back ) After doing this i am more happy to hear the upper high's and a little more happy i don't know what it is but i like a little bit of brightness to my speakers. Here is a pic to show you all. Also at this time im still running them with aleph mini's.. I have 4 chanels running, it is a little bit of a waste to have a separate 15watt channel dedicated to the tweeter but it sure sound's good.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

karma said:
(little bit of a waste to have a separate 15watt channel dedicated to the tweeter but it sure sound's good.)

hay whatever works for you;)

The main reason for this is because they are all matched channels THEY all have closely matched part's. My bigger towers Love class a. I tried a gain clone well that lasted 20 min and then fired it back out the door.

Re: More

TomWaits said:

I really like old school using the new school together! I'm certain my valve amps will end up on PCBs. I like 6550 very much and I would like to know more about your circuitry, schematic? Did you machine the wood and steel, I bet you did. Could you bla bla bla some more, like where the circuit came from, transformers & valve mfgr's etc.

Very nice looking amp:)

Shawn.

Hi Shawn
Thanks for your kind words.

Well the circuitry is: 1st valve 6N1P input gain/phase inverter, 2nd 6BL7GTA phase splitter, with cathode compensation caps (very small values) for these two stages.
Output stage is a classic ultralinear type with 6550 (or KT88/90) with fixed bias.
As for the chassis this one is not steel: I use aluminum most of the time.
The side panels are machined from very noble and rare hardwood: the famous "pau Brasil" (yes with "s"...) (BTW this is the name of a native tree that gave its name to our country...)
Transformers: all of them made under my project and specs.
Tube brands: russian 6N1P, 6BL7 by GE and 6550C Svetlanas.
That's it.

[ ]
Ricardo

Mr. Triatic said:
->rwellerson
..Stunning!!
Which transformers are you using?

Hi. Mr T

Thanks for the "stunning"....
As I said just above the trafos are done under my specs and by a very good guy in this art.
All of them oversized for their jobs.
For ex.: the output ones we're done to stand 100WRMS each in this 60WRMS per channel amp.
Believe me: bass is way much better (not more bass but lower and lower bass...)

[ ]
Ricardo

MiniPP, EL84 power amp

MiniPP, EL84 power amp.

Distortion figures are quite good: less than 50dB (mainly 3rd harmonic -- higher order harmonic less than 70dB) at 5V rms output into 8-ohm resistive load. Onset of clipping is about 7V rms.

Feedback mix: Local shunt feedback: ~8dB, loop feedback ~10dB.
Zo is less than 1 ohm.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Some tweaking/testing with different feedback fractions, idle current etc are still to be done.

Latest schematic:

Jan E Veiset
NO-6600