• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

Brook 12A

I got this running. Sounds nice. Needs break-in as the tubes are new.

Its got the 2A3 magic and power to boot.

It is running with RCA VT95s |Sylvania 6SN7GTs and RCA6J5s

Lundahl 1623AM OPTs

Attachments

• Brook 12A.jpg
    Brook 12A.jpg
    589.8 KB · Views: 1,294
Last edited:
Those look like nuded Russian Teflons?

Care to expand on the other interesting looking parts? I’m assuming Russian mil stuff?

The red caps?
No, FT-3 (ФТ-3) caps not nuded, this teflon film is used to isolate the metal housing of the capacitor from the chassis. Red caps it's a Siemens mkp.

I'm ready to answer to your questions =)

Last edited:
Hey guys. I'm new, so please be nice to me. :eek: I inherited a bunch of gear from a buddy that is using his new baby as an excuse to get out of the hobby. I only know bits and pieces of the history of this gear, but he built everything except the preamp. He ordered high rent components from the US and traveled frequently to Hong Kong, where he got a lot of the components. I intend to play primarily vinyl classical music on this system and my initial testing, just hooking my iPhone directly to the amps sounds pretty awesome! I pulled the trigger on a LITE GA-31a phono preamp and am on the hunt for a decent vintage turntable and MC cartridge now (since I left my Thorens TD-125 at my dad's house long enough for him to throw it away.) It's nice to meet you and I look forward to learning more about the hobby.

Without further adieu, the pictures...

Welborne Labs Ultrapath bp pre-amp
IMG_0717.jpg

IMG_0718.jpg

The batteries are dead, so I need to replace them. Pretty interesting design to run it off of direct DC.

Jack Elliano design Direct Reactance Drive mono amplifiers (from VTV Issue 14)
IMG_0719.jpg

IMG_0722.jpg

Not sure of the origin of the crossover design. One per speaker obviously.
IMG_0720.jpg

Not sure of the origin of the speaker drivers, but he said they are hand wound and the original plans for the speaker cabinet were taller than this. Composite cabinets and filled with some heavy damping material. There is also a distinct left and right speaker due to the differences in beveling on the left and right edges of each speaker.

Left Speaker
IMG_0723.jpg

Right Speaker
IMG_0721.jpg