• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
This amp is my new EL34 the "retro-34UL", Signature EL34 amp.

Top plate is ABS plastic and base Australian Spotted Gum (oiled). Feet are filled with lead sinkers and rubber glue, silver solder and and silver plated wire used throughout. Topology is Single-end Ultra-linear.

Do you have a shot of the inside? Just for interest of course:D
How have you supported the ABS?

Regards
M. Gregg

Do you have a shot of the inside? Just for interest of course:D
How have you supported the ABS?

Regards
M. Gregg

The schematic is freely available. Have you heard of a birds nest? Mine is more like a vultures nest! Yes I'll post a image. No support for the top. It doesn't appear to be sagging the plate is very thick.

Last edited:
What are the 8 Tx's for.. are they interstage or heater? Interesting heat isolation for the 6C33C's.

What kind of power out are you getting?

Regards
M. Gregg
It is capacitor coupled. Russian PIO bypassed with Russian silver mica.

The row of Hammond iron is mostly chokes. There are 3 chokes showing on each mono with one down below. Also used separate transformers for everything. The B+ has one 5A torrid for +, another below for -. Way more than needed but I think contributes to very fast clean presentation. Separate toroids for every 2 6c33c filament. separate EIs for bias, small tube B+ and filaments.
Total of 8 chokes and 14 PT in the power supply. A bit of a lift! The heat isolation works very well. The long vent between the row of tubes and the row of chokes truncates the heat at that point. Metal around tubes acts like heat sink but you can hold your finger right on the metal behind the vent. Good chimney effect keeps everything cool.

Not measured but designed for 110w per side results in very tight detailed bass.

Last edited:
Here's my everyday amp:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It's a KT120 single ended ultralinear amplifier.
Input tubes are old British WW2, Cossor, 41MTL meshplate triodes.
PSU is a simple CLCLC.
Output transformers are James.
Hi Steve,I very love that light green amp.Its make me think of BSA or Norton Motorcycle.I voted for top ten Single End for your amp.Can your share more detail please(circuit and how you made it),Thanks.

This amp is my new EL34 the "retro-34UL", Signature EL34 amp. On early listening the amp sounds fast, crisp and SS like. A very natural sounding amp. Valve compliment is NOS Svetlana EL34 and Svetlana 6N1P. Edcor GXSE 6omh ultra-linear OPTs and 10H choke and power tranni are Hammond. Inter-stage caps are Jensen copper, paper and oil with pure silver leads. Biploar caps are used as bypass caps on the EL34s with ceramic sockets for the audio tubes. Rectifier valve is a Golden Dragon 5U4. OPTs are rubber mounted.

Top plate is ABS plastic and base Australian Spotted Gum (oiled). Feet are filled with lead sinkers and rubber glue, silver solder and and silver plated wire used throughout. Topology is Single-end Ultra-linear.
mhouston,first and only thing I can say is "Wow" You always made awesome item.Thanks for sharing and hope to see your next project.

Here is an image of the underside. Not pretty but functional

Attachments

• Underside.jpg
    Underside.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 1,260
Hi Steve,I very love that light green amp.Its make me think of BSA or Norton Motorcycle.I voted for top ten Single End for your amp.Can your share more detail please(circuit and how you made it),Thanks.

Thanks for the vote of confidence :)

Here is the schematic for the audio circuit:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And here is a pic of the inside:

It was made on a large aluminium guitar amp chassis, etch primed and sprayed with an automobile paint.

Thanks for the vote of confidence :)

Here is the schematic for the audio circuit:

And here is a pic of the inside:

It was made on a large aluminium guitar amp chassis, etch primed and sprayed with an automobile paint.
Many thanks Steve for schematic.After I saw inside wiring(clean and clear) now its go up to top five Single End I ever seen.Look like a Mashall Guitar amp or somthing like that. I guess you have more than hundred ton of experiance of tube amp.I have worked with SS amp for 15 years,but valve world I'm still like a kid.I only made 3 tube line amp and buffer in last 8 year.Now I have Silvertone console single end reciever( 12ax7+el 84) need to fixing hum.I tried hard so many way (re-cap,star ground,re-wiring,but not rolling tube yet) Its working fine and sound very pleasure for my ear.Anyway hope to see your next project and learning from you.Have a good night.

I can't make out..how have you Earthed the transformer metal work?
I guess its under the tape ;)
Looks good outside...:)..I see what you mean about the nest..

Regards
M. Gregg
Yes the power tranni is earthed but at this point nothing else. The power tranni is earth to the mains earth, once more nothing else connects to mains earth.

I don't like screw heads poking through the top plate. Tape works for me.

We have a Canadian folk hero of television show fame who is a DIY'er of a different class altogether. His name is Red Green and one of his favorite solutions to any problem is Duct Tape. ;) Ol' Red would be proud of that amp!

If you don't wanna use screws, I like those self adhesive ty-wrap brackets.