• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

Here is an image of the 300B amp (Silver Dragon) with PS. The amp and PS weigh 15kg each. I had the power tranni wound locally. Though huge it still gets hot. The amps draws 90mA per 300B at 435V.

There is a dual secondary Hammond filament tranni in the PS. This is rectified and regulated for the 300Bs. There is no electrolytic caps in the PS they are all Mundorf M-Caps polypropylene: 3 X 47uf and one 100uf. The TJ 300BSE tubes have an RRP of $1200. I have two pairs plus a pair of Shuguang 300B-Z 50 Year Treasures. The driver tube is a 6SN7 Shuguang 50 Year Treasure also. All tubes are ceramic base and gold pin.

Attachments

• SilverDragon.jpg
    SilverDragon.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 1,582
  • 300BSE2ss.jpg
    300BSE2ss.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 1,568
My latest digging-through-the-junkbox-project: 807 PP UL with 6SL7 LTP input stage and GZ34 rectifier. Edcor 15W 8K/8R output transformers, Hammond 300-series PT and a 10H 200mA choke from vt4c.com. The power transformer is a bit underrated and runs quite hot after an hour or so while only producing just over 300V B+. The amps sounds just fine, nothing special but fine.

Attachments

• 807PP.jpg
    807PP.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 513
Two everyday systems actually....

Second pic is my SE flea-powered (6GW8 x 2 and EZ81) simple straight-forward 3 tube utilitarian amp which I reclaimed and renewed...about 3 watts p/c output. Easily drives my Wharfedale OB SFB/3s (also reclaimed and restored) to satisfactory levels.

First pic is my Motorolla PP 6V6 output based 3-channel amp also reclaimed and restored...about 9 watts p/c output...I've used this to drive less sensitive loudspeakers in my stable ie: Quad ESL57, Bozak B-4000s and Sony APM 22ES.

Both pretty modest by the high standards of some of the foregoing builds here but excellent learning and listening tools for me as I ponder my own from the ground-up build with reclaimed everything! OK, well maybe not reclaimed caps, resistors and wire but my electronics environmental sensibilities (and my thin wallet) compel me to re-utilize whatever I can salvage.;)

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 1,436
  • HPIM2780a.jpg
    HPIM2780a.jpg
    460.3 KB · Views: 1,405
Last edited:
lately.. so sad, my hi-fi is in pieces, but I'm using tube type PC speakers I made with 70L7's. Transformer coupled in and out. They need a gain stage before the 70L7 as the volume is low. These are not hi-fi at all, but just a fun exercise.:)

Everything except the tubes, including the higher wattage resistors, are inside the plastic cabinets, but there are three 3/8" holes above those, and three similar holes at the rear bottom of the cabinets. The convection cooling is sufficient. The tube socket wiring comes out through the port in the cabinets.

If I have a complaint is is the inefficiency of those speaker drivers. This would be better at filling the area with sound with a simple un-pretentious 2-watt 'table radio' type 4" paper cone speaker in each box.

Attachments

• tube PC speakers.JPG
    tube PC speakers.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,114
  • pc_speaker.gif
    pc_speaker.gif
    9.5 KB · Views: 1,085
Last edited:
Mornings are filled with sound from a Philco 50-1720 console via 5W from a 50C6 and 8" full range speaker. A unique feature is one-knob bass+treble control. In the middle is flat, CW and CCW boost either bass or treble, Nicer than a simple tone control.

If nothing else everyone should feel great about their amps considering what's being listened to here these days. I have better amps but until the living room can be cleared of disorder, none of it can be used.

Attachments

• picture.jpg
    picture.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 1,002
In the lounge there is a px4 (mazda version)based amp, drivers are by cossor 41mp
in the music room, a px25 based amp with the cossor 41mtl driving,

the px 25 amp is due to be rebuilt later in the year, I'm in the process of making an amp based on the mazda p650 output triode.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 467
Phono Preamp - Just Finished

This started life as simple phono stage to take the place of my K&K while it was undergoing a few upgrades and a chassis rework.

It turned into this... (Darn thing just sounded better and better with every upgrade)

S&B TX103's -> Hagerman Bugle -> Aikido Cathode Follower

Metal Work is from Mike at KM Audio Chassis, I did the Ebony and mirror polish on the case.

image.php

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php