• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

Monsieur, The amp looks great, but with this position of the output tubes is impossible to know how is the true. If you take some pictures from the base of the connection of the socket of the output tubes is possible to know witch tube uses, The L34 has a different connection for G3 to pin one (1) the KT88 is internally connected to cathode of it. If you see that the above mentioned pin is externally tied to the pin eight (8) is probably that uses EL34, If not KT88 or anybody tube that is equal to the tetrodes ones. The T88 is more powerful than the other. The taste is a different animal for determinate and is a subjective matter. Once you determinate the real tube I suggest in get two matched quartet. And You have to determinate the bias voltages.
We are at your order and cooperation. Best Regards

My everyday HiFi Amp, 6V6G + 6SL7 Baby Huey.

Enclosure is from Mabelaudio, Hammond 1608 Output Trannies.

Cheers,
Ian

Attachments

• MVC-912F.JPG
    MVC-912F.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 1,088
My living room amp changes from time to time, but the one that's been in place for the past few months is "Miz Piggy", the second vacuum tube amp I ever built, and still a pretty satisfying performer. This is an SE design using screen driven (w/source follower) 6CD6GA with 6JC6A pentodes doing the front end duty. Output iron is Hammond 125ESE. It's ugly, but quite functional. Right now, the amp is sporting CBS/Hytron 6CD6Gs in the stylish ST bottle rather than the straight-sided GE 6CD6GAs shown in the picture.

Attachments

• piggie.jpg
    piggie.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,943
PP sweep tube amp 30w/channel. Main speakers are the tall ones. I replaced the Focal 5.25" with an Audax carbon fiber cone a couple years ago. So it is basically a speaker sitting on top of a subwoofer. The shorter transmission line speakers were stocking stuffers last Christmas for our son to go along with his tube based stereo system.

Attachments

• P3270500.jpg
    P3270500.jpg
    868.2 KB · Views: 1,913
  • front2.jpg
    front2.jpg
    953.1 KB · Views: 1,763
  • ORION_NEW1.jpg
    ORION_NEW1.jpg
    798.9 KB · Views: 1,631
Sorry, did not understand ... : O
Yes - it is a hammer enamel painting.
Thanks. There's a lot of equipment here from the Soviet era, and most of them have a painting that is called "anodized", that's why I asked. I was interested in the process of anodization used in Soviet equipment cabinets.

Nice work! I recently built two of these amps, one for me and one for a friend. Here's a link: Engineer's Amp
It's fun to see the different interpretations of these amps.
Nice job. Congratulations!!!!

Last edited:
Still going strong...

Inside view (Note: I have since added balanced line input transformers and replaced the RCA connectors with XLRs)...

That is absolutely beautiful. I recognise the Edcor transformers too... good stuff.

My everyday amp used to be an ultralinear 6CA7 unit that I designed and built myself. It used transformers from an old Knight. It employed a solid state power supply and solid state current sources. It also had global feedback which included the output transformers. It was the best amp ever. It got stolen.

My everyday system now has the Nakamichi TA2A as its source. No complaints; I got it for free and fixed it. (It needs repair again.) It is a superlative small reciever in my opinion. It is the best sounding solid state amp I have ever heard. Thanks to a two stage power amp with the second stage being a unity gain buffer, it simply does not react with the speakers. One of these days I am going to build a larger emulation of the Stasis amplifier. For that matter, I intend to build another ultralinear, but it's not on my short list and unless I can get some salvage parts cheap it is going to cost big buck$.

That is absolutely beautiful. I recognise the Edcor transformers too... good stuff.

My everyday amp used to be an ultralinear 6CA7 unit that I designed and built myself. It used transformers from an old Knight. It employed a solid state power supply and solid state current sources. It also had global feedback which included the output transformers. It was the best amp ever. It got stolen.

My everyday system now has the Nakamichi TA2A as its source. No complaints; I got it for free and fixed it. (It needs repair again.) It is a superlative small reciever in my opinion. It is the best sounding solid state amp I have ever heard. Thanks to a two stage power amp with the second stage being a unity gain buffer, it simply does not react with the speakers. One of these days I am going to build a larger emulation of the Stasis amplifier. For that matter, I intend to build another ultralinear, but it's not on my short list and unless I can get some salvage parts cheap it is going to cost big buck$.

That sucks it was stolen. Probably got no love from the "new" owner, too.

This is my daily amp based om a EL84 and ECC85 OPT is edcor xse and mains from my spareparts shelfs. I found the schematic on a japanese site and it sound very nice. I like Yamamotos design so I made my own interpretation of theres design.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Anders
I know this amplifier, I listened it in aqudiophil meeting in Goteborg - 2011. I noted it sounded awesome.

I must say that some of these amps are quite aesthetically pleasing. KAB's amp looks great. :)

I would also like to point out that there is a niche market for thes tube amps with bold styling. If you look at Ebay and some vendors, they sell tube amps like this for sometimes thousands of $$$. My tube amp was superior from a technical standpoint, but it was housed in a plain steel box (painted red) with a screen cage on top, with an ordinary toggle switch and volume control on the front. (Tubes don't need a pilot light ;). )

I am trying to incorporate elements of aesthetic design into my present (solid state) build, but more retro than flashy. I made a simple brushed aluminum front from 1/8" stock (looks real nice mounted on the chassis :) ) and am presently contemplating control placement (gotta make the ratios look nice) and knob selection. But it will be conventional size and shape; as a matter of fact I am using a gutted and chopped CD player chassis as my foundation. This makes a more practical build from an ergonomic standpoint, and it will blend in better with conventional modern hi-fi gear (although the aluminum front will be a distinguishing feature).