• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

Every time I see a 6C33, I think of a MiG. Wonderful looking tubes - I wish I could find an excuse to use one (too many projects in the queue already)!

My regular amp is a P-P ultralinear EL34 (Mullard configuration - 12AT7 input, 12AU7 phase splitter) that I built about 15 years ago. Solid state power supply & regulation of my own design w/ slow-start B+. I listen to it at least twice a week, and it's still on only the 2nd set of output tubes - the first set (Tesla/JJ E34L's) lasted almost 10 years, and the newer JJ's are doing pretty well so far.

Attachments

• E34L_sm.jpg
    E34L_sm.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 1,052
Here's my daily amp - 4P1L PSE. My preamp is 26 and forms the rest of the gain. Everything is in filament bias and transformer coupled - no coupling caps, no cathode bypasses. I'm so in love with this amp it's not funny. It's so incredibly clean and detailed I can hear every little thing at low volumes. It's kicked out everything and anything from vintage amps to several 300b SETs to three different 2a3 PP amps. My first build was with Audio Note Trans 152 OPTs, and my present build is with O-netics OPTs which is even better, so I even have two of these amps now! I'm in love.....

Attachments

• 4P1L_PSE_O-netics.png
    4P1L_PSE_O-netics.png
    78.1 KB · Views: 1,558
  • 26FB+LL1660.png
    26FB+LL1660.png
    73 KB · Views: 1,532
Atmosphère S-40 with KT88, Made in France

Hello, I have got this Tube Amplifier but did not find any info on net. Its made in France.
It has 7 tubes per channel:

1 X EF86
2 X 6SN7
2 X KT88 (JJ)
2 X EL34B (TAD)

Does anybody know this amp and company who made it? Its a big monster, weigh around 35 to 40 kgs. Accuphase P-500 looks like a kid compare to it.

Regards

Attachments

• DSC02277.JPG
    DSC02277.JPG
    230.6 KB · Views: 341
  • DSC02276.JPG
    DSC02276.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 355
  • DSC02270.JPG
    DSC02270.JPG
    399 KB · Views: 368
  • DSC02271.JPG
    DSC02271.JPG
    478 KB · Views: 817
  • DSC02269.JPG
    DSC02269.JPG
    290.2 KB · Views: 829
  • DSC02275.JPG
    DSC02275.JPG
    275.6 KB · Views: 817
  • DSC02273.JPG
    DSC02273.JPG
    250.2 KB · Views: 940
Here is my everyday amp.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It is a fully balanced push-pull EL84 with no phase splitter.
It takes the balanced output from my Musical Fidelity M1 DAC.
The limitation is that you can't connect anything single ended to it
but the sound more than makes up for that.
It's quite amazing the effect that the ditching of any sort of phase splitter has
on the sound of a push-pull amp.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It has been a work in progress for the last few months but it is now due for
rebuilding into a proper box.
Dual Power supplies are based around the writings of the late Harvey Rosenberg.
Driver stage supply is tube rectified and very stiff
Power stage supply is solid-state rectified, with choke input and 2200uF of reservoir capacity (that's the big cap strapped to the top plate)

Yes I know the differential driver stage could do with a CCS in the tail and will get one...eventually.:)

The sound is gorgeous. I love it

Last edited:
Hello, I have got this Tube Amplifier but did not find any info on net. Its made in France.
It has 7 tubes per channel:

1 X EF86
2 X 6SN7
2 X KT88 (JJ)
2 X EL34B (TAD)

Does anybody know this amp and company who made it? Its a big monster, weigh around 35 to 40 kgs. Accuphase P-500 looks like a kid compare to it.

Regards

Hi Monsieur, I suppose that if EL34 and KT88 are in parallel but the original circuit uses either L34 or KT88, maybe the last owner interchange both types of tubes or get two pairs cause the other pair was reliable, they are similar for output in UL like this circuit but different tubes, one is pentode and the other is tetrode, the biases and currents and transconductances also are different the power dissipation too. I was looking for but I not found any vestigial of this trade name. Looks like Atma-sphere but is Français, from the external aspect looks like SState DIY with pretensions of Jadis. I steel prefer the Accuphase further looks like baby amp. Somebody want to listen it. Please maintain informed to us. Best Regards.;)

While cooking or eating dinner I use the system in the dining room.

If I'm in the garage (workbench) I listen to an old Curtis Mathis SE console amp.

If I'm in the den watching TV, or on the computer like now, I use the SE 6P41S system. I'm listening to Freddie Hubbard "Sky Dive" at the moment.

Attachments

• Dining Room.JPG
    Dining Room.JPG
    240.9 KB · Views: 771
  • Garage.JPG
    Garage.JPG
    192.8 KB · Views: 764
  • Den.JPG
    Den.JPG
    199.4 KB · Views: 756
Last edited:
My everyday amp lineup goes like this...

2K - 20K is handled by the 47 P-P driving a Radian 475pb on a Faital Pro STH100. 4 watts per channel.

70 - 2K is handled by the solid state version of the Tabor amp driving a Beta-8a in a 16L vented box tuned to 68Hz. 20 watts per channel.

20 - 70 is handled by a Crown Comtech 800 driving 2 Dayton IB15 drivers per channel in damped U baffles. 450 watts per channel. Amp lives in the basement because it's ugly, big, and power transformer hums...

Gary, I remember the bottom two amps well. Don't remember the 47 P-P or any Radian drivers. Has Lynn converted you to horns, now? :)

Hi Pano, I'm pretty sure the 47 P-P was in the system last time you were here driving the HiVi RT8 planers.

Yep, Lynn gets most of the credit for the horns that now live in the system. The Radians on the Faital Pro tractrix has a nice sweet sound that is quite a bit better than the RT8's were.