• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

Tony: Definitely sellable. I have a rule that everything I make is for sale. Most of the time my stuff sells. Other times I am commissioned to build for others. I keep as little as possible completed items.

thanks, same experience here, but i do not go out of my way telling people how good my amps sound....i let them find out for themselves and decide....:D

RH Universal build

Pictures of my new build, the 'RH Universal'. Schematic by Aleksandar Kitic.
It's a single ended design allowing the use of various output tubes, by selecting the cathode current and/or changing rectifier type. One could say it works best with the KT88, but that depends on taste as well.
More info on this amplifier is to be found at the blog of RH Amplifiers: RH Amplifiers

Attachments

• IMG_0291.jpg
    IMG_0291.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 1,045
  • IMG_0288.jpg
    IMG_0288.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 1,038
  • IMG_0290.jpg
    IMG_0290.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 1,012
  • IMG_0292.jpg
    IMG_0292.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 927
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 943
Pictures of my new build, the 'RH Universal'. Schematic by Aleksandar Kitic.
It's a single ended design allowing the use of various output tubes, by selecting the cathode current and/or changing rectifier type. One could say it works best with the KT88, but that depends on taste as well.
More info on this amplifier is to be found at the blog of RH Amplifiers: RH Amplifiers

Nice build! How common is it to have the driver stage being supplied through the OPT of the output stage?

RH+Universal.jpg

No, you're wrong when you say you are being blunt. It's more like unmitigated audacious rudeness. But hey, that's just my opinion. Who am I to judge?

Tony, excuse me for being blunt, but all of your creations (amps, preamps...) look the same. Not bad, but quite amateurish in my opinion. It's maybe time to improve on your style!

Last edited:
Tony, excuse me for being blunt, but all of your creations (amps, preamps...) look the same. Not bad, but quite amateurish in my opinion. It's maybe time to improve on your style!

thanks for being blunt, i am not at all offended......and you are right, i am an amateur, like i said i do not go out of my way to offer my creations for sale, neither do i make comments on how they sound, for me it suffices that those are well built and will last.....:D everything to me is a hobby....:D

btw, i can do other colors too.....:D
IMG_1743.jpg

IMG_2649.jpg

No, you're wrong when you say you are being blunt. It's more like unmitigated audacious rudeness. But hey, that's just my opinion. Who am I to judge?

Oh, come on. I speak my mind.
I don't think that's rudeness, it's more of a constructive criticism. I encouraged Tony to improve the looks of his creations. There is plenty of inspiration on this thread!

Maybe by amateurish you mean *industrial looking*, that just happens to be my favoutite look.
Spartan and not a hint of tung-oiled rosewood in sight. Rosewood is for furniture!!.
Even refined aluminium hewn from a mill/lathe is downright annoying.
Most of the amps from the 50s like Lowther, Quad and especially Klangfilm had that industrial look.
A thing of beauty is a joy forever:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I think this the look Tony will arrive at very soon.
If he can make a replica of these I will definitely place an order!

Monsieur Vincent, This is our gallery, our show, our mirror. In matter of tastes nobody like each other or visceversa. Some of us bought a porsche 959 and paint it with mustard color. Some of us are affected by deuteranopsia or protanopsia and can't enjoy the tonalities between red or green but at least we enjoy the monsters in our livings rooms with music in mind. In this case the man in question wind his own transformers and look their finish, I can say with accurately that is my favorite style. :wave2s:

Vincent77, may we see photos of your DIY creations?

Sure. Here is the GM-70 SE amp that I've just (almost) finished.

My own schematic, but it's nothing really special.

It outputs a measured 29W RMS before distortion shows. The first stage is a CCS loaded, LED biased D3a (the photos were taken with an E186F in that position). The D3a has enough swing to drive the GM70 into clipping.

The GM-70 are fixed bias. They are constantly monitored by an Arduino microcontroller that I've programmed, which switches off the amp in case of problems. It also does soft start and temporisation, plus LED control to indicate status, problems or overload/clipping.

OPTs are custom gapped (90mA) Lundahl LL1688.

The supplies are in a separated chassis. There are no filtering chokes in my supplies - it's done with Mosfets and SiC Schottky rectifiers, including the 1050v GM70 supply. The kilovolt supply is not stabilized, only filtered;
the 350v supply is stabilized, not regulated (I do not like the sound of regulated supplies).

Together with Rod Coleman's filament supplies, this makes the amplifier absolutely silent, ear to the (95dB) speaker.

It sounds great.

Attachments

• DSC_1328.JPG
    DSC_1328.JPG
    174.3 KB · Views: 563
  • DSC_1359.JPG
    DSC_1359.JPG
    211.5 KB · Views: 515
  • DSC_1337.JPG
    DSC_1337.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 392
  • DSC_1390.JPG
    DSC_1390.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 431
  • DSC_1392.JPG
    DSC_1392.JPG
    183.1 KB · Views: 378
  • DSC_1405.JPG
    DSC_1405.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 439
Monsieur Vincent, This is our gallery, our show, our mirror. In matter of tastes nobody like each other or visceversa. (...)

Gospodin Bikic, this is my gallery too, and I like my freedom of speech!

Of course our tastes are different. When I like somebody's work, I do not hesitate to congratulate them. And if I think there's place for improvement, I say that, too.
No hard feelings.