• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

My C3G spud headphone amplifier is finally finished and playing music.

- C3G triode wired running at 145V / 15mA
- Cathode bias with tightly matched Morganite resistors and BG N bypass caps
- (yes, there is still people preferring a conventional setup over LED bias :whacko:, but only when Black Gates are used)
- Salas SSHV2 with LC prefilter
- DC heaters
- Lundahl LL1689 wired 18:1
- custom wound toroid mounted on top
- all the guts underneath

Absolutely dead silent (Pitch Black background...;) ).

I just discover your Kunstwerk!

What headphones do you use?

What headphones do you use? 300 Ohm?

Jpak, blackdod, for this one I am mostly using Senn HD800. Tube amplifiers with output transformers are better off with high impedance cans because of the availability of suitable transformers... --> see other thread on Diyaudio ;)
The Lundahl perform very satisfying... very well worth the money.

I see you have reached your maturity as a amp builder, Stixx. Not much room for improvement now.

Dang, life will be getting boring then... :D

I just discover your Kunstwerk!

Hvala ti!

Jpak, blackdod, for this one I am mostly using Senn HD800. Tube amplifiers with output transformers are better off with high impedance cans because of the availability of suitable transformers... --> see other thread on Diyaudio ;)
The Lundahl perform very satisfying... very well worth the money.

Ok, Thanks!!! ;)

I´m looking a new tube Amp for my Senn/Beyer (300/600 Ohm) but yours Amps have very good look. ;) ;)

Cheers

- (yes, there is still people preferring a conventional setup over LED bias :whacko:, but only when Black Gates are used)
- DC heaters

Good job.
I found one error
Supply protective conductor is connected directly to ground. It should be the resistor 10-100 ohm. This prevents the creation of ground loops.

Originally Posted by RK1
Good job.
I found one error
Supply protective conductor is connected directly to ground. It should be the resistor 10-100 ohm. This prevents the creation of ground loops.

Guys, I am at a loss. What is meant with conductor... the choke? This one is not conncted to ground, nor are any capacitors in the regulators... Clue me up please!

I think he is referring to safety ground.
Lifting that with a resistor (no matter what value) would violate all German electrical safety laws.
I can see only a single point where all the ground wires connect to the chassis - this is exactly how I do it, too. No problems with ground loops.
You could connect signal ground via a resistor with safety/chassis ground, but why if its dead silent? Don't fix it if it ain't broken...

Seeing the level of construction skills, I guess Stixx knows EXACTLY what he is doing.
Great piece of art BTW.

Cheers,
Martin

I think he is referring to safety ground.
Lifting that with a resistor (no matter what value) would violate all German electrical safety laws.
I can see only a single point where all the ground wires connect to the chassis - this is exactly how I do it, too. No problems with ground loops.
You could connect signal ground via a resistor with safety/chassis ground, but why if its dead silent? Don't fix it if it ain't broken...

Seeing the level of construction skills, I guess Stixx knows EXACTLY what he is doing.
Great piece of art BTW.

Cheers,
Martin

Probably you do not understand (or my englsh is bad :) )

My opinion has nothing to do with safety.

-> Casing (chassis), especially metal, it must be connected to the protective power (no resistor).

-> ElectricMass of the (mass supply) should be connected through a resistor to the protective power.

Have a nice day

Last edited:

- DC heaters

Peace of art! Now wait for similar designs on the market. ;)

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
My transformer has grown a nipple.

I swear last night that area was flat. Painting toroids can be tricky. Just saying.

Attachments

• DSCN.jpg
    DSCN.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 1,023