• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

I never got around to posting pictures to this thread, until now. Better late than never, I guess.

As I get time and the necessary combinations of parts and materials, I build amps in my home workshop. Mostly on a hobby basis- but I have wound up building and selling, both after-completion and on prior commission, various amps, over the last six years or so.

I tend to build mods and improved versions of some of the classic designs. As the great Isaac Newton said: "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Some of these older-generation designers were quite gifted- by learning and using the ideas they created, it paves the way for me to create my own ideas...

First off, the first amp I built from scratch. As in drawing the schematic, putting together the parts lists, punching and drilling the chassis, and assembling the parts. It's based on the classic Magnavox paraphase PP circuit, using 7C5 (loktal version of 6V6) output tubes:

attachment.php

This started out as a blank rack-mount chassis, which I punched, drilled and painted. Power transformer was from a large color TV, and output transformers were from a Knight integrated amplifier (a bit heavier than the original Magnavox transformers, and with 4, 8 and 16 ohm taps). Input tubes are 12AX7s.

attachment.php

In all, a satisfying 12 watts per channel.

Regards,
Gordon.

Attachments

• loktalmaggie1.jpg
    loktalmaggie1.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 1,644
  • loktalmaggie4.jpg
    loktalmaggie4.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 1,627
Last edited:
Sort of keeping a chronological order- my second scratch-built amp was based on a recovered Pilot SA232 chassis (it had been in a fire). Chassis was stripped, polished, and re-drilled to fit the new components.

attachment.php

The amp is loosely based on the Stromberg-Carlson ASR333, except simplified. This is an integrated amp, with three inputs, a 6CG7 input tube, 6U8 drivers and 6BQ5 PP outputs. Power transformer is again a color TV unit, and output transformers are from a hefty Seeburg jukebox, that originally used 6973 output tubes.

attachment.php

This turned out to be a little power-house of an amp- easily 17w/ch or more, with prodigious low bass output and quality. A friend of mine wound up with this amp- it actually booted an Audio Research CA50 integrated amp out of his system, if you can believe that.

Regards,
Gordon.

Attachments

• 10-5 amp front view.JPG
    10-5 amp front view.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 1,658
  • 10-5 amp lf view.JPG
    10-5 amp lf view.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 1,594
I was given a box of very old tubes. In the mix was a new pair of black metal tube RCA 6N7s (tested 80%). There seems very little schematics for this tube as a preamp but lucky my electronics engineer mate knocked up a design.

The preamp runs from a 18V 2.2A wall wart and uses a step down tranni backwards to produce 255VDC HT. The sound is punchy, deep driving bass, clear, clean and crisp. Best preamp I have ever made. Dead quiet at idle. I have called the preamp "Heavy Metal" after the metal tubes.

Attachments

• Heavy Metal.jpg
    Heavy Metal.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 1,345
My Heavy Metal preamp with the RCA 6N7 tubes has made my whole CD, hard drive based high-rez music and LP selection sound like new. This morning I connected up my Cowon S9 to use it's FM tuner for ABC Classic fm to find it also sounds sooo much better.

Not sure what makes this preamp so good. It must be the tubes.

Attachments

• Heavy Metal_II.jpg
    Heavy Metal_II.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 1,237