• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

Latest finished project...(well almost, needs a sheet of steel for a bottom plate, like all my other projects :rolleyes: )

Quad 6L6GC PPP, highest measured power output 60W into uh 6 ohms (on the 8 ohm tap.. it's a 4.8ka-a to 4/8/16 Triad OPT), frequency response 20Hz - 75kHz +/-3dB (1.6dB rise at 30Hz, flat until -1 or 2dB at 30kHz) at some measly power level. Zo not measured, distortion unknown...

100W of foot-warming power. Sounds good right here, too bad the speakers can't handle The God That Failed at 10W. :D

Tim

Attachments

• quad_6l6_1.jpg
    quad_6l6_1.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 10,181
Oh

I've just registered to this forum... oh my... what a nice place for DIY fanatics... ! :nod:

I'm working on a class-A SE 8 Watt/channel with 2A3 triodes and toroid style power/output transformers. Pictures will be available soon..

After this the preamp will follow.. everything will be ready around may 2004.

Nice job guys!

:)

6BX7 Williamson

Well, this has been my main amp for a few years. I know it doesn't look as neat as some of the very beautiful creations I've seen here, but I guess that is because it was a "work in progress" on a recycled PA chassis that became permanent, so to speak.
Anyway it is an all triode Williamson-ish topology, currently with 5687 as concertina input/splitter, E182CC diff. driver and 6BX7 with both sections parallelled as output tubes. The OPTs are from Revox tape recorders, originally teamed up with ECL86 tubes. Power out is around 6-7W if I remember correctly (it's a couple of years since I built it) into my stack of Large Advents and Electrovoice speakers... yeah I'm a vintage geek I know:rolleyes:

Attachments

• 6bx7.jpg
    6bx7.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 9,427
A Better shot of my DC coupled OTL

Here's a better shot of my stereo DC coupled OTL amplifier (in the fireplace). Besides the 6AS7G's, you can see four large can computer 'lytics that form part of the output stage supply filters, and several oil filled polypropylenes that filter the input and driver stage supplies, plus a 700VA toroid kit that I wound the secondaries on which provides the output stage rails and filament supply. The input and driver stage supply transformers are mounted under the main chassis plate along with the filter chokes. The input stages for both channels are hidden behind the big 'lytics in this photo.

Attachments

• imag0006r4.jpg
    imag0006r4.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 9,220