• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

preamplifier

My new pre ...5692 tube , mu-follower topology..

Attachments

• pre.jpg
    pre.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 2,557
My pre-amp de ESP_6....

Took me 1 year and got all the electrical help from Scrutinizer a friend see dutch forum for details

total of 110 kg...(incl.powersupply)

tubes 3 GE-6072 per channel ...

chassis...12 mm thick copper...

free-floating ebony tube-platform (copper/ebony)

Shallco LADDER stepped attanuator with vishay

Massive ebony rear with cardas chassis and silver/gold signalpath

http://www.htforum.nl/yabbse/index.php?topic=60931.975

Attachments

• amp.jpg
    amp.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 2,481
The Red sports car is illusionary but there are transformers around far bigger than that car.
Red Sports car performance for an amplifier ? Yup..This is a big and demon heavy amplifer to construct. No-one should attempt this size project without a physiotherapy and heart clinic nearby. Heavy handed- and high power electronic approach essential. Also assured 100% solder joint reliability. Stress bearing parts of the chassis uses airframe solid rivets for strength. There's alot to this practically completed over-winter project. Using point to point tag assembly this 250W+250W leviathan shown with new issue Tung-Sols 6550 comes in at iron-healthy 55kg (121Lbs)
These new issue tubes are excellent performers and upgrade others in their class and with amp derrated down to 450V B+; well matched parallel p-p pairs will easy tip 110W at 0.05% thd at 1Khz. (85mA Iq each) With a RS232 programmed PFC 1kW power supply, economic variable B+ performance is easily attained. All other internal supplies are stabilised.
Driver line up, 12BY7’s as balanced voltage driver triodes and ECF80 p sect as triode p/s.. simple.
Using KT88’s and 575VB+ the design goal is achieved with outputs exceeding 250W per channel extracted. (Strangely I got 650W in bridge mode, this seems high)
Although this is the last of the monster amps I shall build, the approach to amplifiers of this power class is somewhat different to lower powers as a considerable amount of detail, protective circuitry and larger earthing is required. The 4mm thick barbeque grill earth bus is very succesful.
Designed for longevity and a fantastic spec.. ANYone else on a monster project ?

richj

Attachments

• leviathan amp1.jpg
    leviathan amp1.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 2,460