• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

soundbrigade said:

You mean the Italian postal system is so ....ineffective??

There's actually a company in Norway - Demostenes - that sells assorted transformers from Novarria.

LOL! well it is VERY ineffective to say the least but that wasn't what I meant,,, I meant I thought those transformers were only sold on a national basis: didn't think old mr. novarria could really make it outta italy!!

Seems like that Demostenes sells just the output transformers by novarria,,, actually novarria does a lot of other stuff and also custom transformers,,,

I have been in touch with Novarria and got an offer for a pair of transformers but postage were around 50-60 EURO. Had some German manufacturer to deliver similar for 15 EURO in postage.

On topic: This is to be a 2A3SE-amp. OP-transformers are from Danbury, UK, choke is a Hammond and mains transformer is a .... Welter Electronics or Frag Jahn Zuerst.
Drivers are 5842, rectifier a 5AR4. Chassis in brass, vill be housed in a wooden (pine) box.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Psychobiker said:
Trafos :D

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

L

`trafos`. :(

Gee I hate that word. It is as bad as calling a transformer the short form of a transvestite or a major power train component of an automobile. Did you know that `trafos` backwards is `so fart!` ?

That being said, I noticed the welded seam attaching the I to the E sections of those sofart`s. That is a good way to introduce Mr. Eddy current and is a cost saving method in manufacturing. Microwave oven power xfmers are made exclusively in this way.

soundbrigade said:
I have been in touch with Novarria and got an offer for a pair of transformers but postage were around 50-60 EURO. Had some German manufacturer to deliver similar for 15 EURO in postage.

On topic: This is to be a 2A3SE-amp. OP-transformers are from Danbury, UK, choke is a Hammond and mains transformer is a .... Welter Electronics or Frag Jahn Zuerst.
Drivers are 5842, rectifier a 5AR4. Chassis in brass, vill be housed in a wooden (pine) box.

Soundbrigade.

Shame you didn`t find some nice dress covers for those xfmers to look as nice as the rest. Cute little amp though! I like the custom tube socket dress rings. Did you make these DIY or are they available to purchase somewhere?

rcavictim: I buy these, RCA- and speaker- connectors from VT4C . There I also buy knobs and excellent drills for tube sockets.
HIGHLY recommended.

The "trafos" :cool: will propably be swapped with "better ones" from Frag Jan Zuerst or Welter Electronics . The Danbury's are 10W Universal SE (2K5/5K) and I rather use them with 6V6 or 6P1P.
Both Frag Jan and Welter has transformer cover plates to go with the transformers. I got one for the mains transformer for a hybrid 6L6. Photos later.

rcavictim said:

`trafos`. :(

Gee I hate that word. It is as bad as calling a transformer the short form of a transvestite or a major power train component of an automobile. Did you know that `trafos` backwards is `so fart!` ?

That being said, I noticed the welded seam attaching the I to the E sections of those sofart`s. That is a good way to introduce Mr. Eddy current and is a cost saving method in manufacturing. Microwave oven power xfmers are made exclusively in this way.

Then, you take that up with Jan over at www.die-wuestens.de
Many have used his transformers with favourable results.
I'll wager some amount that the lower end Hammonds are welded as well, they're OK transformers as things go. No VanderVeen, but not everyone can stretch to that. If I had nice covers on them, would you be so quick with your snide remarks?

I am free to call things as I wish, thank you. A little less know-it-all attitude would be nice.

This is what I am sick of with forums - I come here to ask a little help and guidance, and "welded seams are electrically impure" (which I know already), and I get lambasted with wry 'humor'. Sure as hell I can take a joke, but don't dare make snarky comments about something I have put considerable effort into.

I am so so so sorry if it's not a NOS 300B wonder-amp. We all have to start somewhere, and that attitude just chases people off.

L

Psychobiker,

As 'n mede-landgenoot mag ek darem seker bietjie kalmeer!

I am not here to defent RCAvictim, but I read the remark as simply something that he personally dislikes, and an observation on welded transformer laminations which is quite true, especially in audio transformers. I also sometimes add little things like that for the benefit of newbies that might be around to learn. Though I usually take trouble to look up the member's personal file, this is often about useless, and one simply does not know who one is talking to.

As such I did not quite get the snide feeling of the remark as much as you did (which is your right), but such things come with the territory here. Sometimes emoticons added is a good idea.

En ek praat ook van trafo, as of pre-amps, caps, specs, OPTs, elco's, ICs. Not in official reports, of which I had hundreds to write in "official speak" over the years. Over here we are somewhat more loose-jacket .... I hope. Not that I support any derogatory remarks/sarcasm. In such the writer's mentality shines like a KT88 with 10V on the heater.

Psychobiker said:

This is what I am sick of with forums - I come here to ask a little help and guidance, and "welded seams are electrically impure" (which I know already), and I get lambasted with wry 'humor'. Sure as hell I can take a joke, but don't dare make snarky comments about something I have put considerable effort into.

I am so so so sorry if it's not a NOS 300B wonder-amp. We all have to start somewhere, and that attitude just chases people off.

L

Psychobiker,

Whoa, where did all that come from? All I saw was a one word post "trafos" with a link to a picture of three transformers and no explanation. I made no comments about your project. Haven`t seen anything about it. The comment I made about welded laminations was a technical factoid, for general information only (since as Potgieter noted newbies read this stuff to learn too) and I commented on my personal dislike for the term "trafo" which makes me want to gag. Calling a transformer a "tranny" also bugs me. MY OPINION.

I respect DIY and if you post about your amp project, if I reply it will be with respect and appreciation of the effort I assure you. In fact I did not know that it was not a NOS 300B wonder-amp until you just told us all.

coresta said:
Like these ?! they were made for telephone/television equipments , i think they can last a loooong time :D

Hi Coresta , that are the very one's !
I use 50 uF / 200 V for the cathode decoupling of the 300B and 50uF/50 V at the VT25 cathode.
Actually the measure up to 70 uF's , so matching is a must.
They're very hard to find in Holland.

greetings

Ron Bouquet

My sincere apologies, rcavictim.

It was a semi-knee-jerk reaction to some of the attitude I've read on here a while ago, so please excuse me for freaking out :(.
'Twas about 2am here, so I may have been at the end of my patience.

I know welded seams are a bit shitty, I'd rather they didn't have them, but the next project I build will have toroidals...this is only a test-bed :)

I didn't mean to cause offence, my bad. Bury hatchet?

Johan,

wat nie doen jy maak fet?! (apologies...my afrikaans suffers after 15 years in europe). Julle gaan almalvrek van Tartrazine

Two or more galvanic decoupled windings on a isolated bobbin with a laminated softended iron kernel , also known as "transformer". In short : "tranny" or "trafo"
"Transformatore" in italian , "treuzfurmerez"in Breton ,
"transformador" in Spanish , "transformateur" in French ,
"trawsnewidydd" in Welsh ; I think "trafo"will do nicely.
:confused:

greetings

Bouquet