• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

rdf said:
Have you tried the 6C45 at lower standing currents? In my bench tests anything above 20ma measured objectionable levels of upper harmonic distortion components. I've seen many posts praising its performance at such high currents but it doesn't match my experience at all.

I only tried them briefly, and found them to sound hard. But, I'll need to revisit them and try a lower current to see what happens.

Well, I've completed my biggest project to date, a Fender 5F6A Bassman clone (my first guitar amp, though I did a few hi-fi rigs but nothing pretty enough to post here). I did post earlier pics of this & others in a few of the threads involved along the way. Since this cost mucho bucks to build, and worked fine the first time I cranked it up, I'll give it mention here in this gallery... :)
No cabinet yet.

TAD Black Plate 6L6GC-STR's, JJ ECC83's, Ruby 5AR4, all carbon comp resistors in the signal path, ceramic tube sockets, Alpha pots, and Switchcaft jacks, original American made Fender replacement xfmrs (the choke is hiding behind the PT). Added a "master" volume and a bias pot. Four huge 4" Sprague Atom 20uF 600v power caps.
Done with old-fashioned point-to-point wiring rather than a turret board.

fen3.jpg

Actually, this push-pull hi-fi amp I did about 6 weeks ago came out well, too, and is sort of a treat to the eyes, though on a plain chassis.
So might as well add it to the gallery, since I hadn't though of that before.
I use it all the time, plugging a solid-state CD deck directly into it, and then to a pair of Audio Nirvana Super 10" full-range speakers in parallel from the 4-ohm lugs. I posted this pic deep in the threads before once or twice. It's just a monoblock.
It's mostly based on a design from a 1959 RCA tube manual, with some precision feedback resistors added and a custom 5U4GB power supply, putting about 375v on the plates and about 12 watts output.
The big tube is a Ruby 5U4, and it has a 12AU7 input tube, two 6AU6's and two 6V6's, shown here are new JJ's. Has virtually zero hum.

6v6.jpg

Re: Re: Red Light District

rdf said:

Doesn't look Canadian. PRP resistors?

Beady eyes and floppy head? Terrence and Philip T-shirt?

The resistors are some surplus 2W 1% types, probably metal film. I've used them in a lot of projects and like them. The first proto used some 2W vintage WE-Mepcos, the kind with a ceramic body and tinned copper leads. Very nice. There are some carbon comps in there, too (grid stoppers).

Hello all, I am new commer from Vietnam, in fact i was a sailor for some years and just started to tube' world for over two years since i landed to work at the office, luckily i receive a lot support from many friends, as a result today I wish to introduce my galery as belows ( may I keep queue as the date of completing )

Tks n rgds

Attachments

• resize of p1000469.jpg
    resize of p1000469.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 2,532