Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Photo Gallery
Photo Gallery
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th July 2018, 01:42 AM   #8371
spaceistheplace is offline spaceistheplace
diyAudio Member

Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hectori View Post
Phono Preamp (With my also DIY Garrard 401)

Click the image to open in full size.

Curious to know more. It is balanced? Whatís the design and tube compliment?
Old 16th July 2018, 10:31 AM   #8372
Vinylsavor is offline Vinylsavor  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi Mr_Zenith!

Beatiful build! Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Zenith View Post
as it worth it? You bet - these things sound absolutely incredible! This was my second SE project, and I wasn't disappointed. Thanks to Thomas for sharing this design!
I am happy you like the song of this design!

Thomas
Old 18th July 2018, 07:02 PM   #8373
45 is offline 45  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The large box at the rear of each conceals an Antek AS-1T350 toroidal transformer, which is mounted vertically on an aluminum 'L' bracket due to space constraints. They're absolutely perfect for this project. Both amps have a combined weight of 55 lb. (20.4 kg), and took four months of work.
Hey Mr. Zenith, congrats for your build however if the Anteks are running fairly warm those wood covers might deform over time. I have already done in the past. Probably it might be better if you add some passive ventilation making a few holes.
Old 19th July 2018, 12:51 AM   #8374
Mr_Zenith is offline Mr_Zenith  United States
diyAudio Member

Photo Gallery
Quote:
Beatiful build! Congrats!
Thanks, Thomas! I consider that the ultimate compliment. I'm definitely grateful to you for sharing such an elegant design. In fact after reading your blog (exhaustively, I might add) I couldn't not build this amp. It's truly amazing how such good sound can come from such a small number of parts.

Quote:
...however if the Anteks are running fairly warm those wood covers might deform over time. I have already done in the past. Probably it might be better if you add some passive ventilation making a few holes.
Thanks 45, I'll likely take your advice. In fact, I made those covers easily removable in case that sort of retrofit became necessary. The trick is in figuring out how to accomplish that in a way that aesthetically matches the rest of the amp. The overall design began as something completely different before organically morphing into a sort of "art deco-esque" look - so we'll see where that goes eventually, I'm sure.

That said, the transformer itself doesn't get warm at all, but the mounting bolt does (apparently it counts as a sort of lossy winding). That heat gets transferred to the 'L' bracket, then into the top plate - which is itself a heat sink for the rest of the amp (particularly the output cathode resistors). Weird, but it seems to work!
Old 19th July 2018, 01:08 AM   #8375
rayma is online now rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
the mounting bolt does (apparently it counts as a sort of lossy winding).
You can swap out those bolts for nonmagnetic ones.
Old 20th July 2018, 07:25 PM   #8376
Adolf Corkscrew is offline Adolf Corkscrew  Finland
diyAudio Member

So here's the latest creation I've managed to cobble up: SE/64 Melody. She's a DHT SET using 6B4G outputs driven by an E83F pentode wired as such. For those not in the know, 6B4G is electrically the same as a 2A3, but has 6,3V heaters and an octal base.

The "scrapheap series"-thing comes from the fact, that I've designed these amplifiers - of which this one is the second in the series - using as much leftover parts I had laying around as possible. Here most of the iron and the output tubes were stuff I just had around gathering dust, and I wanted to make something useful of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg general view.jpg (77.0 KB, 594 views)
File Type: jpg details logo.jpg (56.5 KB, 585 views)
File Type: jpg internals.jpg (143.3 KB, 580 views)
File Type: jpg in play.jpg (65.6 KB, 572 views)
File Type: jpg in play side.jpg (70.1 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg details E83F.jpg (68.7 KB, 226 views)
Old 22nd July 2018, 03:25 AM   #8377
Mr_Zenith is offline Mr_Zenith  United States
diyAudio Member

Photo Gallery
Beautiful work! Wow - if that's what comes out of your "scrapheap", then I can't wait to see an example of your regular builds. I'll bet that sounds wonderful. Did you etch those PC boards yourself?

Boy, you've inspired me to go through my own stash o' parts...
Old 22nd July 2018, 02:30 PM   #8378
Lampie519 is offline Lampie519  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I created several amps in the last years. From HV direct drive ESL amps to flea power single ended and push pull (Zotl) amps.
The amp in the make-up case can deliver almost 2 Watt into a 4 Ohm load !
It needs only a 12V power source, it has balanced inputs (no space for a phase inverter) and a headphone output.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3237.jpg (94.1 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3132.jpg (114.3 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3134.jpg (138.3 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3786.jpg (718.7 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3788.jpg (474.0 KB, 220 views)
Old 22nd July 2018, 05:05 PM   #8379
Adolf Corkscrew is offline Adolf Corkscrew  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Beautiful work! Wow - if that's what comes out of your "scrapheap", then I can't wait to see an example of your regular builds. I'll bet that sounds wonderful. Did you etch those PC boards yourself?

Boy, you've inspired me to go through my own stash o' parts...
Thanks! Build wise this isn't that much different from my usual builds. Only place where I used the scrapheap-theme as an excuse to cut corners were the naked Hammond irons - the power supply choke, filament transformer and 125ESE OPT's. Since my usual suppliers were out of EI86 end bells, I just did what the Rolling Stones told to do - paint 'em black.

The boards were manufactured by PCBway. These days there are enough cheap board houses abound to make etching your own boards seem all too useless. Especially when the quality is actually quite comparable to European manufacture. And you get plated through holes, solder mask and silkscreening...

The front plate I did etch myself. I like the look of etched and paint filled markings on aluminum fascias. A ton of work and frustration, but it pays off in the end.

Sound isn't too bad. I haven't yet had enough time to evaluate it thoroughly, but there is some special magic in driving DHT's with sufficiently high gm pentodes. I'll host an amp shootout in the near future, and let other people judge my creations. Obviously I'm too biased...
Old 22nd July 2018, 11:35 PM   #8380
Miniwatt is offline Miniwatt  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampie519 View Post
From HV direct drive ESL amps
Intriguing.. I dream of some day building such a set-up. I know a guy who builds magnetostats..

Photo GalleryHide this!Advertise here!