• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

Hi all,

thanks for all your lovely comments, I appreciate them very much! :)

Yes, this project has developed into a real battle of material. It showed to be much more complex and difficult than thought at the beginning. The Circlotron principle is a perfect design from its sonic performance, but it proved to be quite difficult on the technical site - especially with the very demanding 6C33CB-tube. "Pulling a tiger at its tail" somebody once wrote on this forum about this tube, and - that's really true.... But having overcome all obstacles finally, it is an incredibly "straightforward" sounding amp, very neutral, perfectly controlled bass (never heard such in tube amps before), but unforgiving in unmasking poor quality recordings....

Nothing for people who love the "lovely, smooth tube sound"....

4fun said:
Hi,

Please one more photo, whith light turned down in room.

OK, here it is:

dscn5093.jpg

The blue shining wallpaper behind the amp is originally white... - not only reflecting the light of the mercury rectifiers, but also it's optical brighteners fluorescing due to some UV-radiation emitted by them....

But the camera increases the brightness of the mercury tubes quite much.

Maybe I should add some illumination to the meters.... yellow colour
is still missing... ;)

Uli

FastEddy said:
ulibub: ... gotta be a valve maker's wet dream ... Very nice, very busy ... how many channels? :cool:

hmmm - maybe JJ did enjoy it...... ;) I like their tubes very much, all pre-stage tubes, as far as available, are from them. Frame-grid ECC 82, and especially the ECC 99, which reallly filled a gap in driver triodes. Since it provides the voltage swing for the 6C33CB-tubes, it is in a very critical position in the amp. And in my Circlotron, running mostly with only 100 mA (or less) quiescent current, resulting in someting around -130 V bias (at 260 V plate), I still can drive the power tubes into grid current.... JJ recommends them as drivers for 300B and 2A3, but they just can add the mighty 6C33CB, even working quite at its limits.

So its a simple stereo amplifier only, not even OTL, but with low-ratio toroidal OPTs, who add a lot to its good performance.

Uli

Hi JoshK!

JoshK said:
Those mercury tubes look badd@$$! Ozone in the making. :)

No, they don't produce any Ozone. It forms only at wavelengths in the far short-UV, below about 200nm, tho which the glass bulbs are completely "dark". So only minor long-wavelength-UV portions should come out of the bulbs. See also thread 6C33 design comments.

What kind of indicator tubes do you have in front? Are those clipping indicators or something else?

These are level indicators, NOS Telefunken EM 800 "magic bands". Their band grows from the lower end in one line to the top (so like an LED level meter), contrary to the (pin-compatible) EM 84/87, where the band grows from both ends towards the middle. They are among the last developed indicator tubes during the 60's.....

Uli

ME2/Amity/Raven System

Hi All! :)

Finally I reached the end of a long journey and got the system I am really happy with.

Here is the brief description of the system:
Speakers: ME2 + Subwoofers
Power amps: Amity tube amps for Hi/Mid and Adcom 5500 for subs
Preamp: Raven
Active filter for subs: behringer DCX2496
Turntable: Thorens 166MKII
CD player: Sony SCD 222ES

Here are the photos of the speakers and amps:
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/irakli_sam/album/576460762387277348

Speaker and amp construction projects are described in detail on Lynn Olson's site www.nutshellhifi.com

Just wanted to share my excitement :)

It might ne nice to see these here and in the AudioAsylum.com Photo gallery ... Yahoo is not very photo friendly to Apple Mac Safari or Thunderbird ... One must "right click" each photo and "open in a new window" = time consuming :bawling:

The photos you have here do make the effort worthwhile = nice equipment!!

I especially like the Raven 3 ... your design?? Anything with balanced inputs stands apart from the norm IMOP.

Also, is that a room EQ (Beringer) ??

Re: ME2/Amity/Raven System

Irakli said:
Speakers: ME2 + Subwoofers
Power amps: Amity tube amps for Hi/Mid and Adcom 5500 for subs
Preamp: Raven

I am considering going to the same thing. Only have the ME-2 with a triode-connected ST70 and powered subwoofer.

How is your midbass (150-400 Hz)? I have found mine to be somewhat light and quiet in comparision to the rest of the program material. My hope is that migrating to an Amity will give the additional punch I need.

I would sooo like to hear your system...........

ME2/Amity/Raven System

Thanks for your nice comments guys :)

I especially like the Raven 3 ... your design?? Anything with balanced inputs stands apart from the norm IMOP.

Schematics is all Lynn Olson's. I only added input switcing. Its just a bunch of reed relays. also I used different volune control principle. Instead of two variable resistors I used one connected between hot and cold balanced inputs. Much easier and cheaper.

Also, is that a room EQ (Beringer) ??

It is an active filter. I am using it as a sub crossover, 80Hz 4th order Bessel.

How is your midbass (150-400 Hz)? I have found mine to be somewhat light and quiet in comparision to the rest of the program material. My hope is that migrating to an Amity will give the additional punch I need.

I have more midbass than I want. Still tweaking sub integration. BTW, Amity amps for Mid/Hi using a high pass first order filter (80Hz) at the input. For sub, as I mentioned above, its 80Hz 4th order Bessel.
These subs give amazing level of bass and very clean and tight too.

my we717a pre-amp

Grade before lovely WE 717A vacuum tube

Introduction to 717A vacuum tube
DataSheet
Raytheon
[url =http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aab0012.htm]Tung-sol[/url]
Only two manufacturers Tung-sol and Raytheon made
Make times : 1943

DIY machine of Japan
717A-3C33(PP) -1
717A-45(SE)
717A-6L6_EL34-811A_808(SE)
717A-3C33(PP) -1
717A-71A(PP)
717A-205D(SE)
717A-EL156_KT88(SE)
717A-316A
717A-811A(SE)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Original plan, the high-pressure steady voltage should adopt 6AQ5 +E80F +85A2

717A family takes a group photo greatly

Make the high-pressure steady voltage into GEC A2134 + EC88 + 85A2

amp pictures

This is my da42 se amp with da42,6sl7gtand 6sn7gt. this should run at a 1000 volts at 40ma, but I only use 517 volts at 75ma, I had to use what I had. Iv'e got a dodgy bias pot so it flashes sometimes when the ma's climb. I will get round to using 1000volts at 40ma, someday!!

Attachments

• pict0001.jpg
    pict0001.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 2,333
The one on the left is a p/p , using 6ch6, ef86, 5u4g and ecc82. it's in my living room now. Iam listening to it now, thro' my 2ft x 4ft planar full range speakers. Iam using a £19 dvd player, playing a mp3 on a dvd I burned myself. The Amp on the right is a se amp using only 4 valves :-2 x 6au5gt's, 1 x 5u4g and 1 x 6922. I use this with a Quad 33 pre-amp. About 5watts I think. Sounds very nice. The amp at the top is the 300a se amp.All these amps were in my conservatory, but they are all in different places now.

Attachments

• 005_02.jpg
    005_02.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 2,275
This is my medium full range planar speaker under construction in the living room! I had just finished sticking the aluminium foil on. This is the hardest part on your back, all that bending over. Rip the tape and you have to start again, very boring and time consuming. But well worth it when you switch on. Even worse with neos they are a lot smaller. I am going to build a neo speaker about the same size, about a thousand magnets for the pair, the aluminium foil will be a challenge, on my back and my patience. The old planar speakers in the background with no speaker cloth on were the first pair I ever built, after seeing an article in the Hi-Fi News about 20yrs ago.

Attachments

• 003_0.jpg
    003_0.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 3,148
Yes I have got some more photos just a matter of finding them, then getting them on site. Having never done this before, I'm learning as I go along. So please bear with me! This a photo of the finished speaker. Behind it to the left is my underfloor loaded speaker. Above it is a Aiwa AP2600 Direct Drive Transcription unit. On the rack is a small part of my equipment. I am not married and live on my own, so I can please myself, lucky me, nobody to nag me!!! Iam afraid you will have to rotate the picture. The photo company put on the disc that way round.

Attachments

• jamesbros-rot.jpg
    jamesbros-rot.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 3,004