• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

Stocker said:
Aside from shielding users from the potentials that may appear on the capacitor cans, the ugly plastic has a couple other advantages:

If you need to replace it, look at it and there the values are in plain text
Some caps are wrapped in such a manner as to contain or direct a large leak / minor explosion so that they do not turn into little bombs

I think all (most) Electrolytic Capacitors have the end of the barrel pre-stamped for "the big explosion" and I have learned way back in the day, never put your face over a circuit under test. Chances are, nowadays the barrel will let go from it's end.

I forgot, I have seen caps in custom ID'd heat shrink. Looks very nice.

Hi:

Here's my newborn PP tubeamp. It uses the Siemens tetrode F2a connected in the triode mode. The driver tube is the Siemens pentode C3g (for more pics, go to my website- Siemox F2a project; I also intend to upload the shematic and measurements in the next couple of days).

Regards,
Milan

siemox_3.JPG

Hi guys:

Thanks for such positive feedback. The best part is that the amp sounds even better than it looks. Pair it with a DIY AMT1/JBL123A speakers combo and you got yourself a match made in heaven.

The chassis is all DIY. I made it from eloxated aluminum plates and profiles, and it was a hell of a job. Recommended only to those with nerves of steel. Venetians are known for making even more beautiful stuff, though. ;)

Regards,
Milan

moamps said:
Hi:

Here's my newborn PP tubeamp. It uses the Siemens tetrode F2a connected in the triode mode. The driver tube is the Siemens pentode C3g (for more pics, go to my website- Siemox F2a project; I also intend to upload the shematic and measurements in the next couple of days).

Regards,
Milan

siemox_3.JPG

I had a peek at your site, nice, it's all candy :)
What do the switches on the back do?
Shawn.

The questions are not at all silly.

Ground lifting refers to separating the safety ground (to which the chassis is connected) from the power ground of the amp. The ground lifting switch comes in useful to minimize or avoid altogether any ground loop problems typically associated with audio systems.

I'll try to get the schematic up over the weekend. I suspect a few pics of the inside of the amp might be welcome as well. ;)

Regards,
Milan

My tube gear

Here are some pics of my S-5 Electronics tube amplifier and a Millett Hybrid Headphone/pre amp. I recently cased up the amplifier in a photo box that I got from a crafts store.

The amplifier has the input caps removed and acts as a power amp. The pre amp has a diamond buffer, Noble 100k pot, and Blackgate caps on the output.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.