Photo Gallery - Page 514 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd May 2013, 09:15 PM   #5131
diyAudio Member

I couldn't help doing the Edison label, just couldn't resist.
The fan shaped thing acts a cradle for the Bluetooth device the listener is using (I pod, I pad,smart phone etc.).
The ... um...er...'tubes' on the left make up the display of the pnp/npn color organ.
It looks cool, and sounds very good, no hissing, hums, defined highs and non colored bass.
The sound on the video is awful but in real life the sound is sweet.
Here's a link to the video to see the Jules Verne display in action....
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_UsNIS5rhQ]
Old 22nd May 2013, 09:45 PM   #5132
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dady View Post
Beautiful afternoon taking the air, one connection to the loudspeakers and enjoying the life in a live music session. Tell us please how it sound
Long story short. I have been a live sound engineer for the last 37 years. Never really had a decent stereo, never turned the radio on in my truck, never plugged earbuds in to my phone. Sound is my career, my job. Big point source boxes back then, mostly line arrays now a days. I know how to listen to that. Don't get me wrong. It can be very passionate, very personal, but I kinda forgot about the music. Got in to diy stuff a couple years ago. Built this amp from Pete Millett. Great pcb, bom, advice. I've "listened" to more music in the last week than in the last 10 years. So how does it sound? To me, perfect.
Old 22nd May 2013, 10:19 PM   #5133
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom42107 View Post
Long story short. I have been a live sound engineer for the last 37 years. Never really had a decent stereo, never turned the radio on in my truck, never plugged earbuds in to my phone. Sound is my career, my job. Big point source boxes back then, mostly line arrays now a days. I know how to listen to that. Don't get me wrong. It can be very passionate, very personal, but I kinda forgot about the music. Got in to diy stuff a couple years ago. Built this amp from Pete Millett. Great pcb, bom, advice. I've "listened" to more music in the last week than in the last 10 years. So how does it sound? To me, perfect.
It's hard to beat single end tube amps especially SE UL pentode amps. Just my opinion guys. Though my main amp is an imposing 300B SE ($4K for parts alone) when recently I built an EL34 SE UL I realised how much closer the music these simple amps can get. My 300B SE (Silver Dragon) almost has too much detail which can be a little distracting while listening. As I said, just my opinion after 46+ years of DIY audio. Here's an image of the Silver Dragon (PS separate and not shown). The power tubes are TJ Full Music limited edition carbon plates.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FinMockupIIS.jpg (500.4 KB, 1074 views)
Old 22nd May 2013, 10:22 PM   #5134
diyAudio Member

mhouston,
do you have a schematic of your UL EL34SE?
Old 22nd May 2013, 11:03 PM   #5135
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
mhouston,
do you have a schematic of your UL EL34SE?
The original schematic has been around for quite a while and I built two of them. Virtually takes any tube: KT88, EL34, 6L6, 6V6 etc. But I asked guys on the diyaudioprojects forum to tweak the original. The posted schematic here is the result. I only used EL34 tubes in it in UL mode. A friend who had a number of Chinese PP amps took one listen to my amp (retro-34UL) and bought it on the spot. I wasn't intending to sell it. I'd only had it a week. The PS design is mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg retroamp.jpg (36.0 KB, 1013 views)
File Type: jpg retroPS.jpg (31.9 KB, 965 views)
File Type: jpg retro-34UL_I.jpg (381.6 KB, 946 views)
Old 23rd May 2013, 12:12 PM   #5136
diyAudio Member

I just assembled two of Oatley Australia's latest iterations of their famous headphone amps the K272C. Separate filament and B+ batteries and battery "health" LEDS for each. Now the kit comes with an OPA2134 chip. Better bass, better sound. The ABS plastic enclosures are Al lined and wire-wrap wire is used in the signal path. Switched 6.5mm phone jacks and power switch ensures little chance of leaving it on when not in use.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FinIII.jpg (218.6 KB, 892 views)
File Type: jpg FinIV.jpg (203.5 KB, 378 views)
File Type: jpg FinV.jpg (179.2 KB, 164 views)

Last edited by mhouston; 23rd May 2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old 23rd May 2013, 02:12 PM   #5137
diyAudio Member

Forgot to say thank you for the schematic. I will be bugging you about it in the future.
Old 23rd May 2013, 06:49 PM   #5138
tim614 is offline tim614  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouston View Post
It's hard to beat single end tube amps especially SE UL pentode amps. Just my opinion guys. Though my main amp is an imposing 300B SE ($4K for parts alone) when recently I built an EL34 SE UL I realised how much closer the music these simple amps can get. My 300B SE (Silver Dragon) almost has too much detail which can be a little distracting while listening. As I said, just my opinion after 46+ years of DIY audio. Here's an image of the Silver Dragon (PS separate and not shown). The power tubes are TJ Full Music limited edition carbon plates.
what are those chrome thingy next to the tube?
and what are their purpose?
Old 23rd May 2013, 11:01 PM   #5139
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim614 View Post
what are those chrome thingy next to the tube?
and what are their purpose?
I would like to say they are resonance dampeners but they aren't. They purely ornamental. They are chrome draw knobs. Who knows maybe they do dampen resonances??
Old 24th May 2013, 12:29 AM   #5140
tim614 is offline tim614  United States
diyAudio Member

I see!

Great looking amp tho..

Hide this!Advertise here!