Photo Gallery - Page 502 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd April 2013, 02:30 AM   #5011
bamph is offline bamph  United States
diyAudio Member

My everyday amp is a Tubelab SSE clone driving a pair of Frugal-Horn "spawn" Saburos. The drivers are Planet10 modified Fostek 126e.

I always thought I would be rolling tubes and using the U/L / Triode / feedback switches to find the perfect combination. Nope, it sounds great just the way it is!

The amp is clear enough that the quality of the recording, or lack thereof, plays a much greater role in the final sound than any of the changes to the amp I've tried.

Ben
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bamph SSE Top.jpg (259.7 KB, 453 views)
File Type: jpg Driver.jpg (644.9 KB, 482 views)
Old 22nd April 2013, 02:49 AM   #5012
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary P View Post
After some thinking I remembered that the crossover between the Beta-8 and the HiVi RT8 was passive.
Thanks! That what i remembered, but it's been a few years.

FYI - Gary has one of the best systems I've ever heard. Room, speakers, electronics, sources - all top notch. Very clean, very natural - a joy to listen to. And most of it real DIY.
Old 22nd April 2013, 01:13 PM   #5013
diyAudio Member

My everyday amps are Emotive Audio Vita monoblocks using Genalex reissue KT-77's mostly and occasionally KT-120's. However, I like to swap other amps in from time to time. Right now, I am using my 46 SE amps which use a Western Electric 403B (in triode) with an Intact Audio 1:1 interstage. The IT is new; until a week ago the amps had an Electra-Print plate choke and Dueland CAST coupling cap. The IT sounds a lot better. The 46 amps sound really nice but the 1-watt output is a limitation even with my high efficiency speakers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Emotive Vita.jpg (49.6 KB, 525 views)
Old 22nd April 2013, 01:56 PM   #5014
diyAudio Member

I have a 1980's class AB Maplin 50WRMS amplifier.
Still sounds great.
Old 22nd April 2013, 09:12 PM   #5015
diyAudio Member

Hello, Thanks for your reply. You mean I can change the EL34 with KT88 and vise versa? Do I need to adjust the Bias or something else. I have 4 new Harmonix KT88. Should I try them in place of EL34? Which Tube is more musical from EL34 and KT88?

Thanks for your answer. I will sure inform about the sound quality once my system is all set.
Old 22nd April 2013, 09:45 PM   #5016
diyAudio Member

Sheraz80,

Mmm ....

Meaning that I will be careful! One must know which exactly are the output tubes. From location it would seem EL34s, but what then are the KT88s doing, or the other way round. It would be rather funny to use a EL34 and KT88 in parallel, or .... as I said, what exactly is going on?

Theoretically, to put EL34 in place of KT88 if KT88 were original, could easily overload the EL34. The bias is different, and the EL34 (25W) cannot stand the dissipation of the KT88 (35W).

Sorry to sound difficult, but one must be careful. Are there any indications on the chassis which tubes should actually be in their sockets? Or can you determine from the wiring whether the power tubes are actually two in parallel?
Old 22nd April 2013, 10:19 PM   #5017
jrenkin is offline jrenkin  United States
diyAudio Member

Wise advise above. I think you need a greater dissection and ideally to trace out the schematic to post, or at least some detailed high resolution pictures f the wiring. It is an odd combination of tubes and you need to know more about it before swapping stuff. Looks like a cool amp! But I like to see my tubes.
Old 22nd April 2013, 10:56 PM   #5018
multi is offline multi  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default favorite amp 572B PP

My favorite amp is a push pull 572B using sowter output transformers can drive the most difficult speakers.
I have 845's se and 2A3's push pull , KT 88'sPP, 813's Se, but the 572b leaves them for dead; has wonderful vocals and powerfuil bass . I use horns over 100db.
Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0002.JPG (772.7 KB, 574 views)
Old 22nd April 2013, 11:37 PM   #5019
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheraz80 View Post
Hello, Thanks for your reply. You mean I can change the EL34 with KT88 and vise versa? Do I need to adjust the Bias or something else. I have 4 new Harmonix KT88. Should I try them in place of EL34? Which Tube is more musical from EL34 and KT88?

Thanks for your answer. I will sure inform about the sound quality once my system is all set.
I've built similar amps with both. Hard to beat the super lush mid-range of an EL34. Best I have heard and own is Siemens NOS though some Svetlana NOS come awful close.
Old 22nd April 2013, 11:47 PM   #5020
diyAudio Member

PP 6B4G driven by 6SN7 CF; 6CG7 voltage amps. All voltages regulated. No feedback. Very ugly but sounds lovely!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0814.jpg (747.0 KB, 507 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0815.jpg (869.1 KB, 363 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!