Photo Gallery - Page 491 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th March 2013, 10:47 PM   #4901
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersurfer View Post
Hi Guys,

Sorry! I didn't mean to show-off. I hope to inspire people to build amps in a different way as standard.

A few years ago I decided to make my lonely island amplifier; things got a bit out of hand after deciding for Tamura transformers, these are extremely expensive and hard to get in Europe. But now the design is so universal that I have already tried numerous different tubes and schematics without much trouble or additional costs.

And yes, it looks very cool in the dark.............
I think we all get inspired when we see something very different, good looking and knowing there is a lot of work gone into it. Please, show-off.
Old 19th March 2013, 09:13 AM   #4902
painted is offline painted  Luxembourg
diyAudio Member

That's how it's done!
Old 19th March 2013, 11:17 PM   #4903
diyAudio Member

@Supersurfer - outstanding job! Not only the woodwork, which itself is beautiful, but the aesthetic placement of transformers and tubes. I especially like the mirror-image look of the two amps side-by-side.

Truly inspiring effort!

~ Sam
Old 19th March 2013, 11:46 PM   #4904
wlowes is offline wlowes  Canada
diyAudio Member

A work of art in every way... Inspirational. Is there a thread where we can learn more about your creation?
Old 20th March 2013, 08:57 PM   #4905
diyAudio Member

Part assembled and part wired this UX-171-A 1920s tube (matched pairs) based amp is near completion. Regardless this is exactly how it will look when complete. There are no resistors or capacitors in the audio cct. a Hammond 124B nickel core inter-stage trannie couples to the power tube. Edcor 10W OPTs in the metal case. Bias is provided by 3 X 9V batteries and 230VHT by two step-down trannies on in reverse. The rec tube is a very old "80". PS filtering under the top plate (ply timber). The base will house the power trannies and is a 1940s wooden pot stand. The amp should produce 0.5W! I have named the amp "Intermezzo".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Intermezzo_I.jpg (244.8 KB, 1178 views)
File Type: jpg Intermezzo_II.jpg (199.3 KB, 1132 views)
File Type: jpg Intermezzo_III.jpg (246.7 KB, 1078 views)
File Type: jpg Intermezzo_IV.jpg (234.6 KB, 1050 views)
File Type: jpg Intermezzo_V.jpg (213.5 KB, 965 views)
Old 21st March 2013, 05:27 PM   #4906
tim614 is offline tim614  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersurfer View Post
Hi Guys,

Sorry! I didn't mean to show-off. I hope to inspire people to build amps in a different way as standard.

A few years ago I decided to make my lonely island amplifier; things got a bit out of hand after deciding for Tamura transformers, these are extremely expensive and hard to get in Europe. But now the design is so universal that I have already tried numerous different tubes and schematics without much trouble or additional costs.

And yes, it looks very cool in the dark.............

INSPIRED!!!!
Well done!
not only it's well done but also ART...
i myself try to build the best possible amps in my abillity, i try to pay attention to all details. to me, i dont think building multiple amps with minimum efforts is exceptable.
Old 21st March 2013, 06:31 PM   #4907
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlowes View Post
A work of art in every way... Inspirational. Is there a thread where we can learn more about your creation?
Thank you all for your compliments. There is no thread at this moment for my design, I do not know if there is enough Interest to start a thread, so please report if you are interested.

Regarding building time: this is half a year building, but some years of designing different amp types to discover what works best, and after building; again tweaking and optimising the schematic to adjust the sound balance to fit in my system.

My main goal was to design an amp chassis and component layout that would give me the freedom to change the design without having to change or rebuild the chassis, as this is very time consuming. I use sub chassis plates where I mount the tube sockets on, so I can drop in any socket that exists.
If I want to experiment with the design I can now change it on a saturday afternoon and enjoy music the same evening

I however have learned that some design choices still return because they sound so good, like: using directly heated triodes, using interstages, usage of tantalum and carbon film resistors in the right spot. So the design changes at this stage are only to tune the sound or try some new NOS tubes when I find them.

I agree with you Tim; do it right otherwise you are wasting your time............

Regards,

Last edited by Supersurfer; 21st March 2013 at 06:34 PM.
Old 24th March 2013, 02:26 PM   #4908
diyAudio Member

Low voltage hybrid headphone amp )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1083resize.jpg (336.2 KB, 446 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1056resize.jpg (351.3 KB, 442 views)
Old 24th March 2013, 02:46 PM   #4909
12B4A is offline 12B4A  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouston View Post
Part assembled and part wired this UX-171-A 1920s tube (matched pairs) based amp is near completion.
That's going to be one hell of a half-watt. Great work!
Old 24th March 2013, 10:48 PM   #4910
diyAudio Member

Professor: very nice modern build.

Hide this!Advertise here!