• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

Ahhhh too bad I see that most of those chips are not realistically available anymore. Due to how tidy it looks I thought it was a project that is easy to reproduce. That, and well just curiosity for how it all works so no real specific questions :)
Very nice build though :D

Thank you!

I still got five more bare PCBs left from the package - this is how my option for boards work: I need to order a panel. There was no changes done to the board during debugging so it is fully 'functional'. Just in case you come along cheap PCM1704 keep in mind that Sowter still could build 9055, I believe - they dropped them only recently.

Radiola,
This is a thing of beauty!

I can only imagine it sounds as good as it looks. I am a fan of the 6N6P.

I really became one during quarantine times too! :) Actually the reason for digital input selection is I wanted to get all my digital sources easily listened too through 6N6P after I 'discovered' how good it is.

I am doing another project now with 6N6P as it sounds so damn refined and sophisticated. In DAC they are at 25mA per anode, pretty much in the datasheet range and it feels like it is also the best regime for the good sound.

That is it - work in progress now. Transformer coupled PP amplifier and error correction NFB with (again :)) obsolete Soviet powerful SITs.

Attachments

• In progress.jpg
    In progress.jpg
    570.7 KB · Views: 849
Last edited:
Do you get any buzzing with the 2 side by side?

I actually started with 229E88 (like shown but that is an old picture) and these were just humming a bit but there were some other unpleasant things caused by too high of ohmic resistance of their secondaries. Fortunately the 229A88 is double the power in the same package so the board got the 6W 229A88 instead and it is very quiet now.

Parallel 4P1L Compact Vacuum Tube Amplifier

Input/driver tube is 6N2P-EV. Output tubes parallel 4P1L. Coupling caps are Russian FT-3 Teflon type. Bias voltage of 4P1L tubes provided by the small batteries. Output transformers are done by Automatic Electric Europe (AE Holland). Laminations 0.05mm thick and double c core. Amp has a switching power supply unit so it is compact and not heavy, around 8kgs.

Videos can be seen below

YouTube

YouTube

motivational poems for her
https://poemsonly.com/poem/1208
when i first saw you poem

Last edited:
Had to find out how the new materials for labelling are working so re-did the front and back panels for the power amplifier. Also, in light of PP amplifier coming, it needed a SE in the name. A friend commented that they look swanky :) They are not! The white is because this is how my way of putting the labels on works in the best way and the black is just because life is hard...

:)

Attachments

• 20200602_164804.jpg
    20200602_164804.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 643
Last edited:
Had to find out how the new materials for labelling are working so re-did the front and back panels for the power amplifier. Also, in light of PP amplifier coming, it needed a SE in the name. A friend commented that they look swanky :) They are not! The white is because this is how my way of putting the labels on works in the best way and the black is just because life is hard...

:)

:eek: nice! where did you get those round heatsink-cover-thingy-madodad things?

where did you get those round heatsink-cover-thingy-madodad things?

These are the car metal speaker grills. They come with a frame, so you screw the frame first to the LED heatsink and then the mesh grill could be added/removed just by hand. There is a myriad of those LED heatsinks available now so it is all off-the-shelf.

Here is an example of the grill I used.

Even the small heatsink on the preamp found the matching speaker cover!