• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

Attachments

• mq1.jpg
    mq1.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 959
  • mq2.jpg
    mq2.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 938
Wow four cracking amps, I can see I've got to up my game. I like the different approaches to chassis design. I've been wracking my brains for ages to try and come up with a different approach to the "upside down baking tin" valves and tfmrs on top approach. This isn't easy especially as the traditional way works well.

The OPT's look odd Bas, what are those stripes between laminates, if spacers, why?

Is that really marble zbutmash? Can't have been easy to fettle. Where did you get those valve base hole trimmers?

Nice work lads, Andy.

It's alive!

Hi all,

yesterday my latest project changed into a pre-final-stage, when starting to play music after roundabout 18 months of building time.

Had a bunch of EL84 and some OPT lying around and decided to build something based on the Baby Huey-design. Being a "desk criminal" at present, but having learned something reasonable (toolmaker) before, I like to combine all worlds.

The mechanics started with a bare case from far east, fairly cheap and with todays knowledge (far) too small, but one likes challenges ...
I have a tiny CNC mill, initially designed for cutting wood- or fiber-parts for RC-models, but we had a longer chat and came across, that digging into aluminum would exceptionally be possible.

That was the easy part. Next was throwing some parts and wires into the case (far too small, did I mention it?) and adjustings afterwards.

At the moment it's just a power amplifier. Next step will be to convert it into an integrated amp. Mechanically everything is prepared, but for now I just want to listen.

I have some solid-state amps (DIY like SymAsym, older HK gear etc.) and more or less tweaked chinese tube-amps, and in comparison the BH does a really good job so far. Very impressive amp :cool:.

Attachments

• BabyHuey_117.jpg
    BabyHuey_117.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 337
  • BabyHuey_112.jpg
    BabyHuey_112.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 369
  • BabyHuey_65.jpg
    BabyHuey_65.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 469
  • BabyHuey_98.jpg
    BabyHuey_98.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 435
  • BabyHuey_30.jpg
    BabyHuey_30.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 359
  • BabyHuey_29.jpg
    BabyHuey_29.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 939
  • BabyHuey_44.jpg
    BabyHuey_44.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 946
  • BabyHuey_21.jpg
    BabyHuey_21.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 941
  • BabyHuey_15.jpg
    BabyHuey_15.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 943
  • BabyHuey_11.jpg
    BabyHuey_11.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 938
Joined 2016
Paid Member
Christmas comes early

My street is a pedestrian throughway and often people will leave things on the pavement for passersby to help themselves. I've passed on many things this way - but also taken junk home with me as well.

Yesterday walking up my street I found this handsome little guy left for the taking. When I got home I was astonished to find that it works!

Needs a bit of TLC but this is my first "proper" tube kit - previous experience extends to SRPP output stages and SSMH amps - so I will be plundering these threads for info on restorations etc.

Gonna look great on a shelf in the kitchen for regular duties when it is all cleaned up.

Attachments

• IMG_2565.JPG
    IMG_2565.JPG
    302.5 KB · Views: 391
  • IMG_2564.JPG
    IMG_2564.JPG
    292.3 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_2563.JPG
    IMG_2563.JPG
    297.9 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_2562.JPG
    IMG_2562.JPG
    297 KB · Views: 322
My street is a pedestrian throughway and often people will leave things on the pavement for passersby to help themselves. I've passed on many things this way - but also taken junk home with me as well.
that's a beauty, you are a lucky man, when I was teenager I fix lots of those radio's, if you restore it properly with modern component audiophile grade that radio could perform a fantastic mono sound.....congrats,,,,enjoy :)

My street is a pedestrian throughway and often people will leave things on the pavement for passersby to help themselves.
Great project! I restored one a little while ago and it was very rewarding - see the thread on Restoration of Philips B6X63A valve radio from 1956

This guy is a great resource Electronics Old and New by M Caldeira - he has detailed videos on the process of restoring many of these kinds of radios - very methodical and thorough. The schematics of most of those Philips radios can be easily found on the internet.

I got the radio from this:

UiWehom.jpg

...to this:

ywEIp42.jpg

Reactions: 1 user