Photo Gallery - Page 445 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2012, 09:33 PM   #4441
diyAudio Member
 
Steve Cresswell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Yorkshire UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcavictim View Post
Steve,

Nice match to the OTL. I wonder, on the line stage, why didn't you use gas VR tubes for the shunt regulators.
That is my favorite color of red. I painted my last excellent speaker design prototype pair, the Ultor-X, that color plus eggshell black.

rca
The reason for not using the VR tubes was that I wanted a valve for the shunt reg so as to kill off the last vestiges of ripple by feeding antiphase ripple from grid back to its plate via a coupling cap.
The little adjusting knob on the top of the pre adjusts the amount of feedback, enabling ripple to be tuned out to give a silent background.
The OTL is so quiet that any noise added is immediately noticeable, The ripple killer makes sure there is no chance of noise creeping into the preampand it does regulating duties too.

Yep the red looks great. Glad all of you like it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2012, 09:39 PM   #4442
diyAudio Member
 
rcavictim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Next to an open wormhole NW of Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cresswell View Post
The reason for not using the VR tubes was that I wanted a valve for the shunt reg so as to kill off the last vestiges of ripple by feeding antiphase ripple from grid back to its plate via a coupling cap.
The little adjusting knob on the top of the pre adjusts the amount of feedback, enabling ripple to be tuned out to give a silent background.
The OTL is so quiet that any noise added is immediately noticeable, The ripple killer makes sure there is no chance of noise creeping into the preampand it does regulating duties too.

Yep the red looks great. Glad all of you like it.
I only see two tubes. Presumably one tube per channel. Are you saying you introduce a small sample of anti-phase hum into the line stage signal amplifier tube? So where are the B+ shunt regulator tubes hiding?
__________________
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand." Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker, X-Files TV Series.
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2012, 09:44 PM   #4443
diyAudio Member
 
Steve Cresswell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Yorkshire UK
At the front of the preamp there is a black cylinder. This is a German C3g pentode, strapped as a triode. This is the shunt reg tube and it is this that does the antiphase ripple thing.

Last edited by Steve Cresswell; 4th November 2012 at 09:48 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2012, 01:27 AM   #4444
diyAudio Member
 
rcavictim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Next to an open wormhole NW of Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cresswell View Post
At the front of the preamp there is a black cylinder. This is a German C3g pentode, strapped as a triode. This is the shunt reg tube and it is this that does the antiphase ripple thing.
Oh. I thought that was an electrolytic capacitor. Must be a European thing. I'm not big on using metal shell tubes because they aren't as interesting to look at. That said, the amplifier in my avatar uses a DH metal tube wired as a triode as an input stage and driver through an interstage transformer and it is a 1619, metal equivalent of a 6L6G with a 2.5 volt DH cathode. DH tubes seem to have a magic quality to the sound over sleeved cathodes. The DH output tubes in that amp are 809 run A2. I wanted an amp using all DH tubes. It has very liquid mids and highs but requires near 100 dB speakers as it only outputs 3.25 watts/ch. The bright emitter 809's help offset the lack of glass in the front sockets though.
__________________
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand." Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker, X-Files TV Series.
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2012, 07:46 AM   #4445
aroS3 is offline aroS3  Greece
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Send a message via MSN to aroS3
Default New PP6550 60 Watts

It's a new PP 6550 60 Watts class AB amp made for my cousin.
Input tube is a 6n1p- EV, 6n6p as LTP driver with ixys 10m45s (18mA) and finally 6550 EH in UL. Va=465 Volts, fixed bias Ia=55 mA.
Amp is running flawless till 60 Watts. Clip showed at 75 Watts.
OPTs are Hammond 1650N and PT it''s a custom one winded on a 800 VA core
Sound is full bodied and pleasant for a lot kind of music i listened. From Jazz till hard rock amp sounds great.
Freq response at 50 Watts 25hz - 36Khz, 0db,
Thd : 1.8% at 50 Watts - 1khz, 2.5% at 60 Watts - 1khz, no feedback applied.
Think that all went great and 6n6p LTP looks like hell of a driver for PP purposes if current sourced. LTP Sin waves look absolutely symmetric both phases..
Quiet happy of the result.
Sorry for the bad quality photos...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PP 6550 BIAS_s.jpg (71.9 KB, 915 views)
File Type: jpg PP6550_60 Watts.jpg (175.4 KB, 911 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2012, 08:03 AM   #4446
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Russia
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroS3 View Post
It's a new PP 6550 60 Watts class AB amp made for my cousin...
Sorry for the bad quality photos...
Hi!
Tell us how you have connected one milliammeter in the circuit of four power tubes?
I too want to do so.
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2012, 08:16 AM   #4447
aroS3 is offline aroS3  Greece
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Send a message via MSN to aroS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovpopov65 View Post
Hi!
Tell us how you have connected one milliammeter in the circuit of four power tubes?
I too want to do so.
Piece of cake, you just choose each cathode at a time with at least a 4 way selector (black knob). I choose a 5 way one, four for each cathode and one (center) to keep meter neutral ..
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2012, 11:43 AM   #4448
diyAudio Member
 
mhouston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Victoria, Australia
@aroS3: Take the spec. stickers off the OPTs. Nice build on a wooden base.
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2012, 12:13 PM   #4449
diyAudio Member
 
regiregi22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Madrid (Spain)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroS3 View Post
Piece of cake, you just choose each cathode at a time with at least a 4 way selector (black knob). I choose a 5 way one, four for each cathode and one (center) to keep meter neutral ..
Looks interresting, can you please show how did you electrically connected it? Being an ammeter, it has to be in series, so I wonder how did you....

Best regards,
Thanks
__________________
diyAudio, doing it as big as you can, JUST BECAUSE WE CAN!
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2012, 12:38 PM   #4450
aroS3 is offline aroS3  Greece
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Send a message via MSN to aroS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by regiregi22 View Post
Looks interresting, can you please show how did you electrically connected it? Being an ammeter, it has to be in series, so I wonder how did you....

Best regards,
Thanks
Take a ready made snapshot, Just use a 5 way selector ....Hope it's quiet clear now ...
Regards,
George
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clip.jpg (30.2 KB, 848 views)
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:44 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2