• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

hello all ,

the SE UL ECL 86 / EY 82 ...

Attachments

• SE UL ECL 86 - EY 82.JPG
    SE UL ECL 86 - EY 82.JPG
    220.1 KB · Views: 1,167
Many thanks for the compliments, gentlemen.

The shiny thingies in the middle are indeed capacitors. Expensive? No, just your run of the mill 50µF motor runs. The capacitors tend to be a bit aesthetically challenged off the shelf, but a length of marine grade brass and a lathe goes a long way.

The schematic is really nothing very special. It's basically the JE Labs 300B with a few little mods. SS rectifier, different operating point (350V 60mA @ 3300Ω) and the super sweet DHT regulators by Rod Coleman. The power transformer is mounted in a separate box with an isolating transformer and a mains filter I happened to have in my scrap box.

It's really pretty much a scrap box build, and many of the components inside have been used several times. I used what I happened to have. I'll post a picture of the guts later. I still need to mount larger heatsinks for the DHT regulators. The ones I made run a bit too hot as it is.

Thank you. The steampunkish appearance wasn't planned. It just sort of turned out that way. I work with brass a lot and I have a bunch of scrap pieces, so I decided to see what they'll look like in real life. Not bad, I think. Most of the vinyl wraps I've seen are pretty cheesy, but I really think they hit jackpot with this faux antique leather texture.

Anyway, here's a shot from the interior. Still a little cleanup to do and it's not quite as clean and neat as I would like it to be, but whatever. I'll live.

I guess sometimes procrastinating is worth it.

Attachments

• guts.jpg
    guts.jpg
    332.5 KB · Views: 937
Thank you. The steampunkish appearance wasn't planned. It just sort of turned out that way. I work with brass a lot and I have a bunch of scrap pieces, so I decided to see what they'll look like in real life. Not bad, I think. Most of the vinyl wraps I've seen are pretty cheesy, but I really think they hit jackpot with this faux antique leather texture.

Anyway, here's a shot from the interior. Still a little cleanup to do and it's not quite as clean and neat as I would like it to be, but whatever. I'll live.

I guess sometimes procrastinating is worth it.

Beauty!!:)

This is my first amplifier build. There is actually another power supply choke and filament transformers underneath.
Tube compliment Two 6DA4 One 7F8 Two 45 or 2a3.
Currently running National Union 245 Globes.

sss.jpg

Next projects are helping a friend build a 304TL amp. I am not the lead on that one just labor lol.... Also going to build a pair of Brook 12A clones.

The projects on these pages are amazing and inspiring.