• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

looks more like copper than plastic, certainly looks interesting!

Yes it is copper, ply wood on the base and rear and epoxy resin on the front panel. Used green dye on the windows and rear panel. Also epoxy on the flutes behind the tubes to keep it shiny.

Im a plumber and just use whats lying around in my scrap metal pile. Copper is very easy to work with.

Bijou on steroids

I wanted to make a "pumped" version of the famous Bijoux headphone amplifier by Alex Cavalli. This is the starting point which I then modified.
In this project, developed first with Pspice to optimize it, I used two triode 6S19P and one 6N23P-V for channel. Has been a long and careful looking for the best tubes working points and listening tests with various prototypes. This is the final version and is the best tube amplifier for headphones I've built (... and I have made many over the years).
As Venus amp the cabinet is constructed of aluminum scrap and MDF, I do not care the aesthetics but the best sound.
This is my best one! Great great sound and performance.

Attachments

• 900x900px-LL-08ccb3a5_P1040892_lr.jpeg
    900x900px-LL-08ccb3a5_P1040892_lr.jpeg
    106.1 KB · Views: 1,057
  • 900x900px-LL-952691dd_P1040891_lr.jpeg
    900x900px-LL-952691dd_P1040891_lr.jpeg
    113.1 KB · Views: 1,047
  • 900x900px-LL-cebdfbb0_P1040893_lr.jpeg
    900x900px-LL-cebdfbb0_P1040893_lr.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 1,025
I wanted to make a "pumped" version of the famous Bijoux headphone amplifier by Alex Cavalli. This is the starting point which I then modified.
In this project, developed first with Pspice to optimize it, I used two triode 6S19P and one 6N23P-V for channel. Has been a long and careful looking for the best tubes working points and listening tests with various prototypes. This is the final version and is the best tube amplifier for headphones I've built (... and I have made many over the years).
As Venus amp the cabinet is constructed of aluminum scrap and MDF, I do not care the aesthetics but the best sound.

I like to take a look at the schematic

hello ,

i rebuild me old proto ...

old time to PL 504 / ECC 81 for out power 2 x 5 W max .

and new build to EL 502 / ECC 81 for out 2 x 6.5 W max .

the build use mode " Triode "

Attachments

• Ampli Proto S.O.D.E.L 2 - 6.5 W.JPG
    Ampli Proto S.O.D.E.L 2 - 6.5 W.JPG
    215.8 KB · Views: 893
  • Ampli Proto PL 504 - 12AT7.JPG
    Ampli Proto PL 504 - 12AT7.JPG
    259.7 KB · Views: 935
  • Ampli PL 504 - 12AX7 Face AV.JPG
    Ampli PL 504 - 12AX7 Face AV.JPG
    173.8 KB · Views: 948
It's pretty cool, actually to dive ito the ones stores of started but not finished project and give some old projects a new start. Often it takes some time to sort of digest the original plans and make something better of it.

Right now I am trying to make something out of an old military dosimeter box. It once was intended for the original Darling (*), then a matrixed Darling, recently an original Darling and now a Darling but with 12B4A.

Edit: Pics below shows my dosimeteramp i various stages of "completion" but the 12B4A version is still to come. I chose the 12B4A as I have another Darling lying somewhere ...

PS. Do they still brew asparagus beer in the beer house in downtown Traverse City?:eek:

Attachments

• Darling_1-01.jpg
    Darling_1-01.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 845
  • Darling_1-10.jpg
    Darling_1-10.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 827
  • Darling_1-15.jpg
    Darling_1-15.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:
Innovation, tastes and beer!

Yes asparagus festival is going on ten plus years now in Empire, outside of Traverse City and my family center for four generations. Each year they find some very good recipies for that often maligned vegetable and always there is an asparagus beer! Best one was the first one by Right Brain Brewing.😀

If you took the trouble to put some real hardwood end caps on that, you would have a thing of beauty. I like the way you made a decent chassis without a sheet metal bender! Nice work.