Photo Gallery - Page 345 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th May 2011, 08:15 AM   #3441
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6tubeamps View Post
EL34 single ended parallel ultra linear 15 Watts per channel < .1 % THD at 15 Watts 1 KHz. Built from scratch at my shop. The ghoul here was to build an all tube amplifier with as good of specs as possible, using modern components but keeping to a traditional design scheme. I spent 9 months designing and building this amplifier and it was worth every bit of the time spent. This amplifier running a pair of the small Advent speakers sounds incredible. The dynamic range is like nothing else I have ever hired. But then I built the amp... so not trying to be partial. This amplifier will not win any beauty contests, but it sure is perty to me. Bernie
I'm pushing for a schematic!!!
Old 10th May 2011, 02:56 PM   #3442
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubeManiac View Post

Buttons are vandalism proof ones. Still cheap ones but they are nice !

Click the image to open in full size.
What brand are the switches? They look like 19mm Bulgin switches, which are only available as momentary contact. Is your switch latching?
Old 10th May 2011, 04:00 PM   #3443
diyAudio Member

They are Bulgin switches. They're very good. I bought some of them from Newark Electronics. You'll need external current limiting resistors for the LEDs.
Even though the catalog indicates that the LEDs are rated for 24 volts, they are not.
I discovered this within milliseconds of applying 24 volts to the LED. Flash-Poof.
Old 10th May 2011, 05:40 PM   #3444
diyAudio Member

I popped a blue LED Bulgin the same way. The fact that they are only available as momentary actuation is a problem for me.......IIRC, EAO makes a similar switch that is latching, but it's $$$.
Old 10th May 2011, 07:34 PM   #3445
diyAudio Member

Default 6SN7 driver stage

This schematic is the same design, but with a few tweaks.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 6sn7_sig.gif (5.6 KB, 1243 views)
Old 10th May 2011, 09:03 PM   #3446
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Is this the driver stage to your twin EL34 SE amp in an earlier post. I like the 6SN7 and understand they were developed for radar in the 1940s. I have a few different types. I have also never used them in the totem pole config. you show here. Though I know a few well known builds who do use them this way.

Other driver tubes that I have used and work well are the 6N1P and of course the 12AX7. I chose the 6SN7 for the 300B amp I'm currently building.
Old 10th May 2011, 09:20 PM   #3447
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
I popped a blue LED Bulgin the same way. The fact that they are only available as momentary actuation is a problem for me.......IIRC, EAO makes a similar switch that is latching, but it's $$$.
While it is more complicated than a simple latching switch, a D flip-flop, a few passives, and a relay with driver transistor turns the momentary switch into a latching one...

Only draw-back is that you'll need a control supply to keep the D flip-flop live when the amp is off.

~Tom
Old 11th May 2011, 03:57 AM   #3448
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouston View Post
Is this the driver stage to your twin EL34 SE amp in an earlier post.
Quote:
1. How does a parallel SE compare with a PP-triode mode (given that a PP would require a phase splitter stage too). I would assume the Parallel SE requires a much larger OPT. 6L6, What OPT did you use. (both the PP-triode and the Parallel SE deliver about 15W/rms).

2. Does the 6SN7 driver stage provide enough gain? If one needs more gain can a 6SL7 be used instead?
Old 11th May 2011, 03:58 PM   #3449
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
What brand are the switches? They look like 19mm Bulgin switches, which are only available as momentary contact. Is your switch latching?
Yeah mine is Latching. I founded it on a dutch website Samenkopen.net.

But ebay has them too
vandal switch | eBay
Old 11th May 2011, 04:16 PM   #3450
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchr View Post
a D flip-flop, a few passives, and a relay with driver transistor turns the momentary switch into a latching one...

Only draw-back is that you'll need a control supply to keep the D flip-flop live when the amp is off.

~Tom
Exactly why I'm looking for a latching switch.

I tried a flop flop thingy that I found on-line with a momentary, but could not get it working......

Hide this!Advertise here!