• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

Thanks Junm,

The submini is the 6N16BV.
I'll have the schematic later (have yet to draw it) but it is very simple, a CCDA: a plate follower + cathode follower on the output with some sensible NFB use.

That's what exactly the tube i was thinking...I have done 6N16b Aikido before and still have enough supply of them, and now i must try that ccda from Tubecad if that's exactly it is...

12J5GT tube buffer

cathode follower, B+ at 320v, op at 150v, 6mA....
very quiet amp, no hum, no hiss...:cool:

Attachments

• IMG_4648.JPG
    IMG_4648.JPG
    431.2 KB · Views: 1,320
  • IMG_4649.JPG
    IMG_4649.JPG
    468.3 KB · Views: 1,296
Hello all,

I've been doing some experiments with the subminiature tubes.
They are indeed wonderful devices for audio.
Highly reccomended!

This is my latest linestage, the VTR LS3i:

[ ]s
Ricardo

Perfect work, the point to point suspended over the contrast that the button give to the view in the fiberglass button reveals a delicate finish, the socket coming from rimlock (I guess) without metal edge is a clever decision. 6N16 nice tube election nice curve.;)

Perfect work, the point to point suspended over the contrast that the button give to the view in the fiberglass button reveals a delicate finish, the socket coming from rimlock (I guess) without metal edge is a clever decision. 6N16 nice tube election nice curve.;)

Many thanks all you guys for the kind words.

The 6N16 is a 8 wire arrangement and not very friendly for a casual experiment because one has to solder them all around in a perfect circular pattern.

So I wondered about using an 8 pin CI socket but.. too small, fragile and I would have to get a PCB done for that, one way or another...

The solution came to my mind like this:

The rest was pretty easy to implement.

[ ]s
Ricardo

Here we go again....after 9 months solitary confinement another 500W behemoth, same weight (55kg) and power appears from the lab. Same identical performance to the other two I made earlier.
One was sold to a music studio.
Eagle eyed members may spot the photo of a Neve Console in the top rh corner. There lies one of my audio secrets as sometime ago I worked in the famed Rupert Neve empire as a tester and designer....the discipline to achieve quality sound changes one, and the same approach reflected in my tube amps for both MI and HiFi.

richy

Attachments

• 500W pic.jpg
    500W pic.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 1,309
  • lab as now..jpg
    lab as now..jpg
    365.2 KB · Views: 1,294
DIYTube Budgie SE

Here's a unique build of the DIYtube Budgie SE (Single Ended). This one features Elna Silmic II electrolytics, Koa Speers resistors, a Noble potentiometer, Cardas wiring, and Russian silver mica caps. Everything is mounted to a 0.1" thick copper plate and is sitting on a copper leafed wood frame.

Budgie-Complete-Front-Logo.jpg

Budgie-Complete-Rear-Logo.jpg

Budgie-Complete-Internals-L.jpg

You'll find some more details here: DIY Audio Electronics from Zynsonix.com: DIYTube Budgie SE 3W Single Ended Amplifier

I made this PP 6L6 amp many years ago. It is based on an article in Glass Audio by Joseph Norwood Still. I made many improvements. I parted her this year... I need to pay my bills. :(

Attachments

• PICT0958.JPG
    PICT0958.JPG
    648.9 KB · Views: 343
  • PICT0965.JPG
    PICT0965.JPG
    641.8 KB · Views: 349
  • metatronnecro.jpg
    metatronnecro.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 379
Here's a unique build of the DIYtube Budgie SE (Single Ended). This one features Elna Silmic II electrolytics, Koa Speers resistors, a Noble potentiometer, Cardas wiring, and Russian silver mica caps. Everything is mounted to a 0.1" thick copper plate and is sitting on a copper leafed wood frame.

It looks a lot like a Zenlabs. I like the RF style goround plane.