• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

I use a pair of Mullard 3+3s. 008.JPG

004.JPG

They drive a pair of Frugel-Horns Mk3s with Alpair 7.3s together with a Tang Band 6.5" subwoofer in a Cerebus ported box. The subwoofer has a plate amp. but maybe the Alpairs are a bit underpowered although they sound very good in my small lounge.

The Mullard 3+3s are great little amps. and are my first builds for something like 40years! I now have a good selection of Mullard valves after hours on Ebay. Valves sound much warmer and detailed to me. Signal source is a netbook running Foobar2000 and 24 bit FLAC files (ancient and modern). I listen about 4 hours a day and longer at weekends.

I like classical chamber music and solo instrumental works. It might be my age but full scale orchestral works tend to sound muddled to my ears but maybe it's too much to ask of a 4" driver.

The tube lineup is 6SL7 - 6SN7 (Aikido configuration) - 813.
Currently in UL mode but I plan to switch to Triode this weekend.
About 800 VDC plate on the 813 @100 mA.
The amp has big sound and plenty of drive.

Thanks for the compliments!

Great! Big sound is what I'm after. 813 is still affordable but, getting the OPT to match is ....?

Enjoy your fruit of love.

Running in the study, sources are Internet radio, terrestrian digital radio and computer:

EL36 triode strapped SE, EF95 driver, unusual feedback scheme (output stage to driver screen grid), about 2x 5W Po. If you don´t count the Alps pot, parts price was less than 100€. (Mostly from the drawers...)

Regards, Tom

Attachments

• ef95el36set_f.jpg
    ef95el36set_f.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 1,592
  • ef95el36set_s.jpg
    ef95el36set_s.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 1,555
  • ef95el36set_i.jpg
    ef95el36set_i.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 1,564
Last edited:
My 6SL7 / 6V6 Baby Huey. Easily the best sounding amp I've ever built!

Running in the study, sources are Internet radio, terrestrian digital radio and computer:

EL36 triode strapped SE, EF95 driver, unusual feedback scheme (output stage to driver screen grid), about 2x 5W Po. If you don´t count the Alps pot, parts price was less than 100€. (Mostly from the drawers...)

Regards, Tom

me like!
love to see functional looking amp

Greetings,

What I am not listening to:

<1843s.jpg>

(Jolida 302A with KT90 triode, with all the usual mods like Auricap, FRED, etc).

(Various SE EL34 amps: Angela Simple El34 with 5691, RH34 using the original 6N8P - with Auricaps, fast diodes, Black Gates, etc. but both keeping the original OTs)

(In the X-A2 box is an LM49811 driving the original SAP15 darlingtons).

What I do like at the moment:

<1847s.jpg>

Two modified Meng EL34 - one is essentially a Simple SE, the other is a full Power Drive using 2sk3767. EL34 triode, both using D3A as driver at 10mA, Rk=150R with 2K2 feedback from secondary. The voltage doubler PSU in the Meng is great for hacking up the auxiliary +/-180V required.

Very important for both of these amps: the Transcendar OPT, fits in the existing chassis. The sound is open and beautifully relaxed. I did not try anything else as far as good transformers are concerned - quite happy with the Transcendars.

Speakers: Dynaudio Contour 1.3SE and Harbeth C7/ES2.

Thanks for the great thread!

Attachments

• IMGP1843s.jpg
    IMGP1843s.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 1,201
  • IMGP1847s.jpg
    IMGP1847s.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 600
  • IMGP1842s.jpg
    IMGP1842s.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 558