• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

Proposed 6072A Line amp

Some of my ideas on how to finish my amp. So far I build a prototype with junkparts, but am planning on how to build it and lay-out the parts. The top and rear will be from black chromed steel plate, with a satin finish. The sides possibly from a darker type of wood, wild cherry maybe.
Please advice on improvements.

Top:

Attachments

• pre-top.jpg
    pre-top.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 32,792
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Won't you want more than one input? Do the components you're going to connect between the valves mean that they need to be spaced that far apart? You won't be able to see the volume setting when seated. A steel top plate might couple the leakage field from the mains transformer into the signal valves. They're all fairly minor points.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
You want something conductive, so that means a metal. You don't want it to be magnetic, so that excludes most steels (some stainless steel is non-magnetic, but it's tough to work). Aluminium is the most popular choice, followed by copper, and silver for the crazies.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I've used 3 mm thick circuit board for that, copperfoil side facing upwards, grounded and finished with sprayed on varnish.

Looks good, sounds good and is cheap...

If it needs to support somme heavy stuff such as xformers you may need to reinforce it from underneath to prevent sagging.

Cheers,;)