Photo Gallery - Page 134 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th October 2006, 06:44 PM   #1331
diyAudio Member

Very nice work Ronald. That 300B amp is nice also. I note cathode FB on the 805 from the output iron. Whose xfmers did you use and what plate Z? Nice you were able to find a suitable interstage xfmer as well. That makes Class A2 somewhat simpler to implement.
Old 29th October 2006, 08:45 PM   #1332
kor952 is offline kor952  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FastEddy
kor952: Your amplifier is Exceptional! , top drawer solder work and layout.
thank you

Quote:
Short Q&A about your web pages and pictures @ http://www.jogis-roehrenbude.de/Lese.../805-Story.htm ... (I am unable to decode the Dutch flavored German).
It's not my personal site, I did send my story (written in Dutch) and pictures to Jogis, he did know a German guy living in the Netherlands who translated my story

Quote:
Is the turntable your design or kit as well? ... or mods to someone elses design?
The turntable is made in Germany by Scheu. It comes in parts but you hardly can call it a kit.

Quote:
I notice a vinyl copy of Muddy Waters' "Folk Singer" ... Source is Chess Records, yes? ... or is it the modern remake in heavy vinyl?

Noticing your Teac and DAC, have you had a chance to compare the vinyl Muddy to the 24bit/96k DVD-A from Classic Records? (I consider both vinyl & DVD-A (HDAD) of this album to be a "bench mark" for comparisons of old technology verses new technology, DVD-A to CD or SACD, etc. Do you have another favorite album for these kinds of comparisons.)

Your DAC type and specs ? Is this a kit or your own design?

Speakers: Kits or DIY?

I bought the DAC as Audio Note DAC 3, I updated it to the DAC 4 Signature level it handles only 44.1 and 48 kHz. So no DVDs I compared my vinyl Muddy Waters with my Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab Gold CD, And I like both of them maybe the vinyl is a bit more dynamic and a tiny bit more 'black' silence but both are music!
My speakers are ready built Audio Note type E.

Ciao,

Ronald.
Old 29th October 2006, 08:53 PM   #1333
kor952 is offline kor952  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rcavictim
Very nice work Ronald. That 300B amp is nice also. I note cathode FB on the 805 from the output iron. Whose xfmers did you use and what plate Z? Nice you were able to find a suitable interstage xfmer as well. That makes Class A2 somewhat simpler to implement.
thank you

All transformers are from Tango (see the special wound nrs in the diagram) only the power transformer was wound by a Dutch transformer factory. The interstage transformer is a so called Inverting Interstage Transformer (IIT) the positive tension on the grid of the 805 causes a current through the sec. of the IIT that cancels a part of the anode current of the 6L6 (wich flows through the primairy of the IIT).
The problem is that these special wound transformers at this moment are hard to get from ISO/Tango.
Because of the cathode feedback of the OPT the impedance of this transformer may be lower as useally, in this case the Rp of the OPT is 3.5 K. Also the Anode voltage of the 805 is "low" 820V but the Anode current is high 135 mA.

Ciao,

Ronald.
Old 30th October 2006, 12:44 AM   #1334
diyAudio Member

" ... I compared my vinyl Muddy Waters with my Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab Gold CD, And I like both of them maybe the vinyl is a bit more dynamic and a tiny bit more 'black' silence ..."

I believe that the DVD-A version(s) would be preceived as having a whole lot more dynamic range than the comsumer grade CD(s), much more comparable to the vinyl, although the best range I have ever heard was from certain vinyls. (I will give the Sound Lab Gold a listen.)

Thx

Old 1st November 2006, 01:49 PM   #1335
Klimon is offline Klimon  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Here's a pic of my firstborn amp, el84 triode-strapped, e80cc driver

Click the image to open in full size.

Simon
Old 7th November 2006, 05:14 PM   #1336
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Nice touches with the wood

dave
Old 8th November 2006, 12:54 PM   #1337
Klimon is offline Klimon  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Nice touches with the wood
Thanks! Unfortunately I don't have the necessary woodworking skills nor equipment to make a pro-looking job.... My next amps will be in a simple, painted wooden box. It's easier to cut then metal and I like the more open sound of a wooden chasssis.

Simon
Old 9th November 2006, 02:44 PM   #1338
diyAudio Member

I'm the proud father of a SOHA, my first non-kit/point to point wired amp. Not that impressive compared to the other projects posted here, but it being my first and all, I had to post. I plan on building a custom chasis soon, but for now, this will do.

http://static.flickr.com/104/292974309_2d40af8b67.jpg

Thanks for all the inspiration, diyAudio.
Old 9th November 2006, 03:48 PM   #1339
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Congrats on your first solo! That looks like the Radio Shack plastic box. I use 'em all the time, cheap and convenient.
Old 12th November 2006, 09:50 AM   #1340
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stevodude
I've been posting in the vsps thread, but I;ve pretty much finished it for the moment...

I'm not into polish or any sort of finish at this stage, as it's a functional item, not blingbling mind you those led's are bright, and shows up the aluminium front scratches and stuff from when I ripped it out of an old 15" screen tube surround cover :-) hehehe

That the vsps phono amp in the middle build on 19mm mdf, with a roof made of 19mm mdf with 2 door hinges so I can replace/upgrade bits as I need.

Audacity recording away, direct to wav then flac.

MMmmm Blue LED's , 1 led for each power rail

Oh and my wallwart powered cmoy-ish head amp ( that little blue big with the big knob)...

awaiting my SOHA pcb's, then it's onto a source switcher / preamp & then a power amp, which will probably be in better enclosures than mdf...

hahaha I didn't even cut the mdf up, just used whatever bits I had lying around (apart from the power socket/fuse switch bit - is 2 bits of wood split in 2 and cutouts for rear screwed together.

Hide this!Advertise here!