• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

It is dangerous to use octal sockets for power supply. You or somebody else can touch the high voltage pins...
True. That's why they have these connectors. Flow direction should be female plug. In other words, female plug from power unit to male plug on cord, female plug on the other end of that power cord to male plug of receiving unit. Hope it helps.

OK. And those ultra-tiny wires outside (green arrow)? :headshot:

Attachments

• thin.jpg
    thin.jpg
    487.8 KB · Views: 488
I suppose that as long as you never intend on shipping or transporting the amp anywhere that's fine but otherwise I wouldn't trust any glue that was trying to adhere to a anodized surface or smooth metal surface. It's really not difficult to secure them better, just a couple of zip ties with anchor ends. They can be found at most hardware stores.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Simple SE Build

Just completed this: TubeLab Simple SE with kt88 and Edcor iron. My first venture into tube power amps so I built a kit. I am extremely impressed so far with the sound and it hasn't even had a chance to let the tubes break in yet.

Chassis is from scrap cherry I had in the work shop. Knob is a Maple Burl and corner pieces are spalted Maple.

Attachments

• DSC02164.JPG
    DSC02164.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 1,655
  • DSC02154.JPG
    DSC02154.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 1,585
  • DSC02141.JPG
    DSC02141.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 1,544
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Transformer covers are cherry. The Choke cover is the cherry sapwood. The OPT covers are figured cherry heart wood. My house was originally built in 1855 (not old by EU standards but ancient in US). I have been redoing it the last five years using the local supply of wood. In this part of the country there isn't much of anything except trees so it is quite easy and cheap. In fact some of it is from my firewood pile. I buy almost all of the rest direct off of the local wood kiln, you end up with "wild" wood that isn't suited for cabinets or furniture. I use these pieces for amp chassis and knicknacks. The covers are just planed to 0.25" and mitered together. I round the corners with a roundover bit.

I should of fit the covers into the top plate better, maybe I will just make some trim for it. It will have to wait until I get through my album collection again ;-).

Next Up is a Tubelab SE with 300B's and then onto my own desing IT coupled 300B later this winter. I am still working on what I want to do with the chassis for these. Open to ideas.

:confused:
Job??? In Sweden, you must be joking. I have friend not far from there who runs a small factory when the tides are high, he needs someone to operate his machines.
Else, the govt has just given a proposal how to solve the unemployment crisis over here: :headshot:.

I like wooden chassis, to be back on topis as much as I like metal ones. A 1" chassis in metal can be really good looking (Luxman MQ60). But chassis with wooden sides or wood all around can also be very nice.