• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

Thanks Bob,

With your comment, I got courage to post what is inside the amp.

The kit included everything from tubes, trannies, chassis to cable ties. The only thing I missed was an assembly instruction. There was only one page of the circuit schematic. On the other hand, I learned a lot about laying out the components according to the circuit diagram.

There was a mistake in shippment of the front panel. I received a new one and for apology the shop sent an input relay circuit for free. The relays seem to protect the amplifier.

I wish you a happy new year.

Best regards,

Hun

Attachments

• el34se kit.jpg
    el34se kit.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 2,570
It is a "Hartley Compact Reference"

Dear Felix,

The speakers are by Hartley. Hartley used to make loudspeakers with super woofers. I remember that the membranes were not made of paper. Anyway, my speaker is the smallest model in their product line.

I could not find any information about Hartley loudspeakers in Internet.

I bought it 17 years ago. When I bought the loudspeaker, the ownder of the shop lived in the same apartment that I lived and I had 20% discount. It still sounds nicely. I like the sound resolution of Hartley Compact Reference. Finally the loudspeaker found a new partner. (Matches well wiith the vacuum tube amplifier)

Thank you.

Hun

Attachments

• hartley.jpg
    hartley.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,984
And finally some info on what´s on those breadboards:

25k stepped attenuator
Triode wired E280F input stages with Lundahl plate chokes
Sovtek 6B4G output tubes with Lundahl LL1664/60mA OPTs
LeClanché PiOs for coupling and decoupling
6AU4GTA rectifiers for the output stage HT (CLCLC filtered)
6X5G rectifier for the input stage (CLCRC filtered)
Fixed bias (to avoid cathode decoupling caps)
DC heated input tubes (CRCRC filtered)
DC heated output tubes (LCLCL filtered with 25mH in first and second position, 112mH on output)

100% functionalism, 0% esthetics...

head1962: Looks lovely:)

yagoolar: It´s 6B4G, Sovtek single plates. I also have a pair of 6C4C that are yet to be tested.
WAF is not an issue, my main listening room is a 12m^ garden shed full of ugly DIY stuff. My GF never goes in there...:D

I usually only build prototypes this way but this time I really didn´t want to build a proper chassie for all 7 transformers and 11 chokes.
I didn´t put much effort in planning this project, just wanted to build something that sounds good out of junkbox parts.

FastEddy said:
Re: Bricks and Boards as chassis.

(Is there a contest for the ugliest amp?)

eeehhh how about this one.....

An Eimac 100TH driven by a 6EM7...
A huge Hammond output transformer on the right, behind the Amp meter which shows 100mA at 1200V.
Also nice is the burn mark on the (wooden) power supply at the back, a resistor did not like the 1200V...

Attachments

• img_7819-2.jpg
    img_7819-2.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 2,776
A Darling and one I came up with. Its uses just half of a 12AX7 and I have tried all types of power tubes in it such as JJEL34, 6L6GC, NOS EL34's, they all sounded good except the Chinese 6L6GC "Coke Bottle"

I liked the JJEL34 and the wing C 6L6GC the best.

Some day soon I will build a 2A3, 45, and a 300B what else in life is there to do anyways?? ;)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Attachments

• aa1.jpg
    aa1.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 1,554