• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

KT66 (or 6550) cathode feedback design, 2x12W class A (KT66).
4dB CFB, 7-8dB gNFB.
Choke loaded LTP.

01NOV08A.jpg

Some measurements:
o 2x KT66 + 6FQ7 + 6SR7 pr channel.
o Max Po: 2 x 13 W
o Frequency response: 10Hz - 100kHz (Low power +0/-3dB)
o Output impedance: 0.8 ohm
o THD (1dB under max Po): 0.4%
o THD (1W Po) ~0.05%

10kHz square:
30OCT08A.gif

Schematic:
20OCT08.gif

Sounds great, swings like hell.

Jan E Veiset
Norway

Re: 12AU7??? Puke!

rcavictim said:
Ricardo,

Really superb work. That looks so much like a factory built stereo component. Your attention to detail is superb..... but.... why on earth did you go with the 12AU7 tube? Those have high distortion levels. I think 6CG7 would have been a good choice. The octal 6SN7 would have been a superb choice IMO. I am sure there are many others better than the 12AU7.

You see, that's a load of crap. The tube is fine, it's the manner in which it is used where the mistakes occur. I've built several preamps now with the 12AU7 and not boutique tubes mind you and they all sound amazing.

The abuse the 12AU7 has taken is entirely unwarranted. :smash:

Re: Re: 12AU7??? Puke!

jduffy said:

You see, that's a load of crap. The tube is fine, it's the manner in which it is used where the mistakes occur. I've built several preamps now with the 12AU7 and not boutique tubes mind you and they all sound amazing.

The abuse the 12AU7 has taken is entirely unwarranted. :smash:

Well gee, thanx for giving my post a four star rating!

I would never consider wasting my money on boutique tubes, or boutique capacitors, or anything else boutique.

As for you liking what you get from 12AU7's, that sounds like a very practical and low cost pleasure. If they are indeed a sleeper be glad.

My first real phono stage. Details of the history at http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=130983

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.