Photo Gallery - Page 113 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th June 2006, 09:51 PM   #1121
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi gianis, this might help:

http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/f.../084/9/957.pdf

As you probably already know the 95x series of acorns were originally designed for radar use. The 955 has a full power bandwidth past 400 MHz. The socket is designed to be part of the circuit and requires special handling. What you could be experiencing is oscillation. My first try with a 955 had the same issue with microphonics. I replaced it with a 9002, an exact equiv on a different socket. The socket is soldered to a ground plane, plate and grid stoppers used and the LED-biased cathode bypassed to ground with a silver mica. Clean as a whistle to the (unfortunately low) 60 MHz limit of my scope. I'm a big fan of the sound as well. I'm thinking of giving the 958 a shot with NiMH batteries to power the filament. 1.25 volts at 0.1 amps, a perfect fit.
Old 27th June 2006, 12:47 AM   #1122
BTW is offline BTW
diyAudio Member

Default Darling Amplifer

My good friend Tony Wong just completed a Darling Amplifer based on Bob Danielak's circuit.

Click the image to open in full size.

Here's a back view showing the spk binding post and RCAs.. the output trannies are vintage Siemens/Klangfilm type encased in wood.

A shot of the internal wiring

Old 27th June 2006, 05:35 AM   #1123
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Darling Amplifer

Quote:
Originally posted by BTW
My good friend Tony Wong just completed a Darling Amplifer based on Bob Danielak's circuit.
Nice amp but it makes me feel like going for a swim The Power XFMR and valves look nice and old. What does it use for output XFMRs? No volume control, I like the power amp approach. What preamp and speakers will it end up with? Also, what kind of power is it capabale of?

Cheers,

Shawn.
Old 27th June 2006, 09:12 AM   #1124
gianis is offline gianis  Greece
diyAudio Member

Default acorn

Thanks rdf! Very usefull the pdf data , and your informations.It was surprise for me the 958 as audio tube! Thanks again .Gianis
Old 27th June 2006, 12:35 PM   #1125
gianis is offline gianis  Greece
diyAudio Member

Default 958

The acorn tube preampl. under test.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 958.jpg (57.2 KB, 1786 views)
Old 27th June 2006, 03:31 PM   #1126
BTW is offline BTW
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Darling Amplifer

Quote:
Originally posted by TomWaits

Nice amp but it makes me feel like going for a swim The Power XFMR and valves look nice and old. What does it use for output XFMRs? No volume control, I like the power amp approach. What preamp and speakers will it end up with? Also, what kind of power is it capabale of?

Cheers,

Shawn.

Hi Shawn,

The output trannies are vintage Seimens/Klangfilm type, here a picture of it before being boxed up...

The single tube Darling puts out only 0.75W per channel, so high efficiency spks are recommended. The Darling amp is connected to a pencil tube preamp and spks are either a Coral Beta 10 or the Lowther PM2A in the Azura Front Horn.

Here's more info by Bob on his amp.

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/1965/darling.html
Old 29th June 2006, 02:17 PM   #1127
diyAudio Member

Hi BTW,

Those are really vintage transformers. I'd love to have some of them in my shop. I'm particulary interrested in old transformers and vintage (pre-WWII) vacuum tubes. I'm planning to build really vintage amplifier (for the old times nostalgy and for the look, last but not least I want to bring in my speakers the vintage sound).

If I dare dreaming... a R-Type triode amplifier...

Thank you all (especially Giaime) whom spotted errors on my site and helped me correct them.

Regards,
ALEKS
Old 29th June 2006, 07:27 PM   #1128
Giaime is offline Giaime  Italy
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Giaime
You're welcome Aleksandr!
Old 30th June 2006, 01:14 AM   #1129
BTW is offline BTW
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ALEKSANDR
Hi BTW,

Those are really vintage transformers. I'd love to have some of them in my shop. I'm particulary interrested in old transformers and vintage (pre-WWII) vacuum tubes. I'm planning to build really vintage amplifier (for the old times nostalgy and for the look, last but not least I want to bring in my speakers the vintage sound).

Regards,
ALEKS
Thanks Aleks, those vintage trannies are really nice, wish I could get hold of some of them as well..
Old 1st July 2006, 04:52 PM   #1130
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to widowmaker
My amp based on 6N3P and 6S4S tubes.
For details, take a look here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg inspiration.jpg (81.2 KB, 1825 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!