• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

Re: 300B Push-pull schematic

Michael Koster said:
Here is the signal path schematic.

attachment.php

That's an absolutely fantastic design. Very elegant.

Re: Re: Beautiful work, Michael!

Cycline3 said:

I can only say, "why did you have them make them then?" Seriously? I am completely against nOObs thinking they should custom wide iron. No. NO. NOO. There is a wonderful array of iron out there... for all tubes, especially the 300b. Come on now... why wind you own when you work at the Mall, Wendys, Paff and Smith, etc... when you should focus on your amp, not ridiculous custom wound transformers that you have no idea what-so-ever will perform like?

???

Kindly calm down somewhat there, Cycline 3. I risk a yellow card coming into the scrum from the side (rugby), but why this comment?

There are several reasons for custom-wound iron (I take it you meant wind instead of wide) even when something similar is available on a market somewhere. To begin with, here in RSA most of us custom-wind OPTs despite availability on the global market for the simple reason that customs, cost of transport etc. make them about twice the cost of the imports, however available "out there", apart from a time factor. I am not familiar with the situation in Hawaii; perhaps Tomsyl had a quite legitimate reason for the Electra-Print wound.

At this end your comment came over as somewhat harsh on a "nOOb" (sic); apologies if I somehow misread. We all started somewhere and believe me, quite a few "available" products can be improved upon. Without any knowledge of them (at least at this end), why not give Electra-Print benefit that they perhaps knew what they were doing instead of calling the operation "ridiculous custom wound" per se?

Re: Re: Re: Beautiful work, Michael!

Johan Potgieter said:
but why this comment?

The poster didn't even know if the impedance ratio of the iron was correct - and the iron was already made - and you are asking me, what's my problem? Are you kidding me?

1. If you have no options, fine, have one wound.

2. If you do, you're silly to do it.

From another similar thread - and it applies here:

Looking to the past is unhealthy. That's not a hobby ... that's like chasing the Holy Grail of Audio or something. Like one even exists.

Again, every facet of the technology has progressed in the last 50 years except the manufacture of the actual tubes. Electrolytic or/vs polypropylene is a silly reference - as it means nothing in real terms - as BOTH are improved vastly over their old world counterparts. Saying you prefer Poly - doesn't mean OLD amps sound better. Which was what started this to begin with.

There's nothing special about those old amps... there were good ones and bad ones. I've had and have both. Yeah there were some GEMS, but living in the past is just bad form, no matter how you look at it. And you can make a NEW GEM if you do it right. You have to focus on what you have at hand.

Also, most of the questions on here come from people with no or little experience. Pointing them to costly, rare old parts on ebay is not helpful in my opinion. I've seen crappy organ amps that had more rust than most old cars sell for stupid amounts of money. Because everyone says the old stuff is better. Not. Again. NOT.

Everyone has a right to choose what they like or buy for themselves, but when you are dealing with a hobby that is both expensive and potentially dangerous/deadly, I feel that what is in the interest of the community at large comes before your own personal bias.

Recommending to people to custom wind transformers that don't even know what an impedance ratio is... is NOT helpful. Having someone try to replicate some obscure old transformer is NOT helpful.

Pointing to $25 edcors for a beginner is helpful as someone mentioned. That is good. $600 for a stereo 70 on ebay? Not good.

I've been reading this board for awhile now - and the 2 things that stand out the most about that time is: 1. People will regurgitate any myth they've read on the web like it's gospel and even argue with you about it, even though they lack any basic understanding of what's happening to proove it. and 2. People will point others in crazy directions in search of the Audio Grail, because they dreamed of doing it but never did.

Copying a classic amp is one thing. Telling someone to get custom transformers is another. I hope that the rest of the messages focus on helping this person achieve his goals, not point him in search of some lost Indy artifact.

Buy some good, affordable, modern iron and go from there. You will NOT be unhappy with it.

I am extremely passionate about the tube industry and seeing DIY do well. Im sorry if I upset some in that, but I won't hesitate to say BS if I think what you're saying is harmful. I want people to enter the hobby, enjoy it and be happy. Telling them the only way to what they want is to secure a transformer from some old amp they may NEVER IN THEIR LIFE FIND, is not helping anyone!

Think of it like this, just because you can tear down a car engine and rebuild it, would you start making one of your own from scratch? No? Then why make your own transformer? Most people don't even know basic tube theory - much less how to wind iron. And if you do know, you don't need to ask or have someone suggest it... Have I said it enough yet?

Re: Beautiful work, Michael!

Sean, OK

You have explained yourself well, and I agree (at least in spirit) with all you have said (see later).

Not to belabour, but I reacted only, to your reaction, to the quotation you gave of Tomsyl.

He mentioned there that he had 6K transformers wound etc. - that did not give me the impression that he knew nothing about impedance ratios.

Your manner of writing nOObs came across (correctly or otherwise) to me as "talking down" to someone who was trying to learn. (Such a manner is to me again something that I feel passionate about, having taught at tertiary level.)

You referred to (the practice of) "ridiculous custom wound transformers". That statement appeared rather generally disparaging, and I tried to outline why such a practice might very well be the best option in certain circumstances (as e.g. for us down here), despite commercial availability.

As for the rest, I particularly agree with you re the following:

Cycline3 said:
I've been reading this board for awhile now - and the 2 things that stand out the most about that time is: 1. People will regurgitate any myth they've read on the web like it's gospel and even argue with you about it, even though they lack any basic understanding of what's happening to proove it. and 2. People will point others in crazy directions in search of the Audio Grail, because they dreamed of doing it but never did.

Exactly.

In my own way I have also been "A lonely little petunia in an onion patch" (who sang that song years ago?) in my modest contributions to a local audio magazine and elsewhere. And we must not start with the clap-trap enthused over in promotion, thereafter to be perpetuated as if it was gospel. At least I get the impression that we agree on that.

Thanks for your explanation.

Re: Re: New 300B P-P Monoblocks

jim said:

Nice chassiswork.
Definitely a change to the usual wood frame/metal top plate constructions we see here.

Greetings,
Jim

Thanks!

I guess I was after a Bauhaus vibe to the project. Functional aesthetic, contrasting metal surfaces...

Michael

PS the enclosures are Bud Rak-Mount chassis with my own internals and panel work

3-500Z's in push pull AB2

Rectifiers removed to allow the tubes to be seen. These run at 3000V.

It is a modulator for an AM transmitter, pls. don't be prejudiced by that, because the goal is to achieve 700 watts RMS from 50Hz to 15KHZ with no more than 1% THD+N. The output (modulation) transformer weighs about 120 LBs.

Alot of people (ham radio operators especially) call 3-500Z's running zero bias "class B" but 100mA of quiescent current per tube at 3KV is hardly class B.

Attachments

• 3500zchastemp.jpg
    3500zchastemp.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 2,817
Re: New 300B P-P Monoblocks

Michael Koster said:
Here is a new pair of 300B push-pull monoblocks. They are UTC LS-30 repeat coil balanced input to ECC99, LL1667/5 choke coupled to 300Bs or JJ2A3-40s. UTC LS-54 OPT connected for 12K5:8R by using the 5 ohm tap.

Currently one is running 300Bs and the other 2A3-40s and they are identical in op point, gain, power, and sound!

400V plate-cathode, 45mA Iq, -84V grid-cathode. I'm getting about 14 watts continuous sinewave power at clipping. Frequency response +/- 1dB from <10Hz to >30 KHz, then peaks +2dB at 50KHz, peaks again +5dB at 70 KHz. With no NFB I guess the HF peaks are expected and should probably add some compensation...

They sound great and have plenty of power for my 94dB/W speakers. I'll do some more measurement after a while but have been enjoying listening to them too much.

Cheers,

Michael

Wow! Nice!
What was your specality, 0705?

The Latest from Rodango Labs

Here's my latest amp! It's my custom 225W all tube Bass Guitar Head! And does it ever bring the house down! Literally! It uses a 6SN7 preamp, a 6L6 phase inversion transformer driver and KT88 outputs. I have KT90s in there now.

Designed and built by yours truly! I'm having a case custom made for it too. I'll post a photo of the completed unit in a few days...

ba1.jpg

ba2.jpg

ba3.jpg

basstard said:
Jeez! 225w all tube! Not bad at all I'd say!
[but still I need way MUCH MORE POWER for my bass :D ]

How comes so few controls on the front? what's that, gain and volume? no eq at all?

Do you have some clips out of it?

VERY nice!

Yes, just gain and volume. And for now the gain is disconnected until I figure out the best way to do it. The way I had it introduced way too much hum into the circuit so for now it's disconnected while I figure it out.

Coupled with my 1x18 EV cab, it's about ready for anything!