• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

power supply recommendation for EL84 amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey, anyone called Chevelle deserves an answer. Unfortunately you have not quite supplied all of the needed information. Looking through the Hammond catalog, I don't find a transformer that exactly matches your description. An amp with 3X EL-84 can draw anywhere from 120 mA to 200 mA. Most Hammond transformers are rated for a maximum DC output with a cap input filter. In this case a 150 mA transformer would be marginal. You can draw about 170 mA if you used a choke input filter. If you do this, keep the bias adjusted on the low side until you see how hot the transformer gets. A lot depends on available ventillation, and the intended use of the amp. If this is going to be a guitar amp, with the volume "cranked to eleven" a lot, I would look for a bigger transformer.

I would suggest going Push-Pull and just using a pair of EL84s, the transformer would be happier.

Otherwise give it a shot and see if it gets too hot- if it does, switch to a GZ34 / 5AR4 rectifier (less filament current) and use a separate 6.3V transformer for all the tube heaters...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.