• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

12 volt preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

I got this cute miniature 6ag5 tub from a friend i traded with.

googling for an application i came across a radio citcuit using it in a 12 volt application.

Just out of curioity i powered up mu 12 V dektop supply and plugged some resistors 'n caps in my breadboard.

Within a short time i was hearing audio, after a bit tinkereing i am hearing GOOD audio.

Looks all cool on the scope. Don't know how to measure distortion, but it sounds teriffic.

Now i am suspecting there is some drawback, else we would all hook tubes to low voltage supplies.

Could anybody enlighten me why this isn't done more?

I am thinking: 12 lead acid battery and make a hummless phono!

Hi ,
I don't know about the space charge valves mentioned earlier but the ECC86 looks like a safe bet . Otherwise if you can stretch to 50v or so , miniatures such as 3S4 are a possibility and there are many subminiature types that run at low voltages . Steve Bench has a battery phono stage on his site , maybe a good reference ?

cheers

316a

Eli Duttman said:
The 6GM8/ECC86 is a LOW voltage relative of the 6922. It's a fine Dutch product. ;)

6GM8 is tube design especially for 12 volt supply ( in car battery operation ).
At plate 12 Volt will run like 2.5 mA
At plate 6 Volt will run like 0.8-1.0 mA

I guess that when plate 6 Volt, the supply is 12 Volt
and anode resistor is like 5 kOhm
and cathode resistor 1 kOhm

Heater is 6.3 Volt / 330mA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.