• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

What I have: 4 Tubes. What I need...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Through a mistake I made in ordering some replacement tubes for my HP 200CD Oscillator, I now have these 4 homeless NOS tubes:

2x 6SH7 (Branded KEN-RAD)
2x 6AU5 GT (Branded RCA)

I have the following projects on my list of things to do, and wondered if any of these tubes are good choices for any of these projects:

An RIAA preamp for MM cartridges.
A line stage
A 2 way active filter for bi-amping

Thanks,

Neil

Neil,

The 6AU5 data sheet suggests suitability in voltage regulator service. Regulated B+ definitely has its place in preamps, particularly phono sections.

With DC on the heater, the 6SH7 might make a good 2nd gain block in a passively equalized phono preamp. Perhaps 6922 sections in the 1st gain positions. Be sure to buffer the line level O/Ps. 5687 or ECC99 cathode followers seem about right, but JFETs could work out too.

The 6AU5 can be used as an output tube, but the screen voltage needs to be lower than the plate - perhaps regulated? The 6SH7 is a linear pentode, good for a gain stage. Mu about 35 triode connected. GE data sheet says "not recommended for high gain audio amplifier due to hum." I'm sure it would be fine at line levels.

I take it your 200CD is the later one with 6AU6 and 6CW5?

I take it your 200CD is the later one with 6AU6 and 6CW5?

I'd have to open it up again to be sure, but what I can say is that these tubes dont fit. The tubes in the oscillator are more miniature, with finer pins, and these replacements don't fit. I later found out that the oscillator didn't need new tubes anyway. I just had to fix a problem with the attenuator and now it works fine.

It's a beautiful thing, and also acts as a ballast to keep my bench stable during earthquakes ;-)

But it sounds as though, if I want to build a phono stage, I'd be better off choosing some other tube. That's OK.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.