Software for drawing tube schematics? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th December 2005, 10:47 AM   #1
diyAudio Moderator

Default Software for drawing tube schematics?

Anyone knows a software (preferably freeware ) that I could use to draw tube circuits? Those that has triodes, pentodes, etc....
Old 29th December 2005, 10:55 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

TinyCAD
Old 29th December 2005, 11:23 AM   #3
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by maynardg
TinyCAD

thank you very much for the quick help!

best regards,
JojoD
Old 29th December 2005, 03:35 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Download Eagle, here
In the "Library" section you an find a good library with a lot of different tubes, to be used with Eagle software.
My schematics are made with this software.
These are some examples (don't care about the schematics, they do not work, they were only experiments):
Example 1
Example 2
Example 3
Example 4

You can use Eagle also to design PCB, THIS
is a BMP image for a PowerDrive dual driver.

Ciao,
Giovanni
Old 29th December 2005, 04:51 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi Giovanni,

Quote:
Originally posted by croccodillo
Download Eagle, here
In the "Library" section you an find a good library with a lot of different tubes, to be used with Eagle software.
I highly recommend Eagle too. By the way, the tube library is easily extendible, I have added quite some other types over time myself.

Tom
Old 29th December 2005, 09:08 PM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

croccodillo,

looks easy to use too. tried TinyCAD and it was easy to navigate also.

I have to write my experiments into schematics before I forget them.

thanks!
Old 30th December 2005, 10:03 AM   #7
max29 is offline max29  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

studying the possibilities with Cad i wonder need the schematics of the Croft Absolute pre amp .Have the tubes and where they use them.
possible ......
Old 1st February 2006, 06:41 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I use the gEDA. It is a full GPL'd suite of Electronic Design Automation tools. These tools are used for electrical circuit design, schematic capture, simulation, prototyping, and production. Currently, the gEDA project offers a mature suite of free software applications for electronics design, including schematic capture, attribute management, bill of materials (BOM) generation, netlisting into over 20 netlist formats, analog and digital simulation, and printed circuit board (PCB) layout.

The shematic capture is allready as good as the old ORCAD. It is no limitation of any kind with the gEDA. If you want to do electronis simulation, ngspice can do that, or you can use ltspice in conjunction with the gEDA.

http://www.geda.seul.org/
http://www.linear.com/company/software.jsp
Old 1st February 2006, 07:05 PM   #9
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

A cheap'n'cheezy way is to use Paint and a library of schematic symbols. Joel Tunnah has a nice set up on his website which I've used extensively.

The nice thing about Paint is that you can save the schematics directly into gif format, which gives very compact files.
Old 1st February 2006, 10:21 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

With the gEDA, all the files used by the programs as library of components, schematics files, are plain ascii. So it is very easy to manipulate those files with other programs or scripts. They are very compact. As exemple, you can generate footprints for tubes sockets with a simple script. You just call the script with the number of pins and the diameter as parameters, and you get the footprint.

With gschem, the schematic program, you can save the file as a png image. It is very compact too. Another good thing is at the library file format is exactly the same as the schematic file format.

For the print, pcb is becoming a very good tool. The automatic router is all new, so I believe at more work is needed for it. But I don't use the automatic router for tubes circuit.

Hide this!Advertise here!