Kofi Annan in: "300beee!" or "Kofi Gets a Toy" - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th December 2005, 01:46 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Hi Kofi,

About the caps you can go with one of the same value of the parallel caps in the schematic. I got my caps at cricklewood electronics in London...I'm sure that you could find some GE motor run on ebay for good price also.

Yes amorphous is a cool word...amorphous, amorphous, amorphous.

In spanish it's similar to ugly or deformed...but hey, it's sounds just beautiful on my system. As I said on the original thread, I didn't try anything else. I could only trust the general buzz about this type of transformer and went with it. I totally happy by the way. One observation; the sound is still opening up...I guess that the run in time is quite long with this kind of core.

Siemens d3A show up regularly at ebay, sometimes for pretty good prices (I just grabbed some for 7,50$ each, I don't know if I should be advertising this!)

Good luck with the planning ordering etc...by the way kofi, thanks for your thread regarding Thorsten's phono. I got tons of great info about hands on building, in fact I'm currently collecting the parts to build Thorsten's "el phono cheapo" let's see who finish first!

Bas sorry, I still have to send you some stuff.

Take care. Best whishes for the new year.

Luis
Old 30th December 2005, 02:05 PM   #12
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Hi Luis,

Quote:
Bas sorry, I still have to send you some stuff.
Luis, sorry, I still have to send you some stuff too..

Regards,
Bas
Old 31st December 2005, 02:26 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Basically yes....that is all there is to it. Don't forget that you need enough juice for the filaments as well. Not just for your b+.
Thanks!

Quote:
About the caps you can go with one of the same value of the parallel caps in the schematic. I got my caps at cricklewood electronics in London...I'm sure that you could find some GE motor run on ebay for good price also.
Good deal! Thanks!

Quote:
Siemens d3A show up regularly at ebay, sometimes for pretty good prices
Still looking for the good prices, but I'm patient...

Quote:
by the way kofi, thanks for your thread regarding Thorsten's phono. I got tons of great info about hands on building, in fact I'm currently collecting the parts to build Thorsten's "el phono cheapo" let's see who finish first!
Don't thank me-- thank Thorsten. I'm just the guy who asks the questions.

I've had mine finished for some time and I absolutely love the sound. Try it. You won't be disappointed. Oh-- and let us know when you finish and what you think.

More questions:

Where did you get your PSU transformer? Also, what about the common mode choke on the filament? Is it a Plitron? No? Well what is it then?!? ANSWER ME!?!

Oh.. right... gotta give you time to respond. Sorry.

Kofi
Old 31st December 2005, 02:32 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Also, what's the inductance of the 15mA choke load for the D3a anode? Ain't that a cool sounding question?

Kofi
Old 31st December 2005, 03:14 PM   #15
Tweeker is offline Tweeker  United States
diyAudio Member

Amorphous!

I just like the word. It gives me confidence. Amorphous ... amorphous. It's got a sort of woody quality about it. Amorphous. Amorphous. Much better than `newspaper' or `litterbin'.

Frightful words.

Perfectly dreadful.

Ugh! Newspaper! ... litterbin ... dreadful tinny sort of words. Tin, tin, tin.

Sausage!

Sausage ... there's a good woody sort of word, `sausage' ... amorphous.

Cheap transformers, 480V industrial and choke input might work.
Old 31st December 2005, 03:48 PM   #16
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Ok Tweeker, I need you to keep your hands where I can see them, now move away from the ashtray... slowly!

And yes Kofi, thats exactly the kind of questions the UN should spend more time on.
Old 31st December 2005, 04:40 PM   #17
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Ok Tweeker, I need you to keep your hands where I can see them, now move away from the ashtray... slowly!
Ja...nee....ek trust hom so ver as wat ek 'n blerrie sherman tank kan gooi...en buitendien het hy regtig genoeg gehad!
Old 31st December 2005, 05:29 PM   #18
Tweeker is offline Tweeker  United States
diyAudio Member

Shermans, they light up every time!
They are easy to drive!
Hydromatic luxury!
Old 31st December 2005, 07:11 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Hi all,

About Thorsten's phono...well yes, we all should thank him (I did already) but I also thank you for having the guts to ask all the questions that I would be afraid to ask. You're the man.

The mains transformer is from diyparadiso in Belgium but I'm thinking a new one from vt4c.com

Please note that filament supply for the d3A is supposed to be 6,3 Volts. Thorsten advices to run in at low 5,5. See, as I told you before I was afraid to ask why and just did it. I'd like compare how the sound changes using different voltages, say 6, 6.1 and 6.3. The common mode choke is from rs components.

Right now I'm thinking of trying Guido Tent's filament supply for the 300B...just to see how does it sound.

The inductance for the Lundahl anode choke is listed at 270H in the factory PDF. Look it up on the factory site. I ordered another couple anode chokes from tribute in the netherlands...it's supposed to be a big improvement but it's going to take awhile to deliver.

Best wishes. I'll let you know when I finish the phono stuff...

Luis
Old 31st December 2005, 07:33 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

kofi annan

i thought long and hard
before posting for you
i see you have almost decided
and it probably is good
but is it this good?

unfortunately i can't say amorphous
so i say PARTRIDGE

PARTRIDGE

PARTRIDGE

PARTRIDGE

PARTRIDGE

PARTRIDGE

looking forward

dave dove
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aikido300bxls.jpg (36.9 KB, 1438 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!