• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Supply voltage for 12v6 12B4 heaters

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm building a 12B4 preamp using LM317. For the heaters I'm using power supply I used for my old preamp using 3x 12AT7 per channel. This power supply uses LM340 (7815) followed by CRC (470uF-5R1-220uF). So the output (unloaded) is 15V!

I don't remember how the 12AT7s heaters were wired, but I checked that 12AT7 and 12B4 are both 12v6. Do you think that the supply is safe? I can't imagine that the loaded voltage will be reduced to 12v6 from 15v...

Hi Tweeker,

following your way of calculating it, here's mine for 12B4...

One 12B4 draws 0.3A at 12.6v.
To get 12.6v from 15v supply, a resistor is required to drop 15-12.6=2.4volt.
Thus the resistance R=v/i=2.4/0.3=8 ohm.

Is that calculation correct?

Using 8R2 will get 12.54, which is fine. How about 10R to get 12V (in case I can't find 8R2 of suitable size). Will 12v degrade sound quality?

Power dissipated in resistor= current squared * resistance (P=I2R). Its best to double this value for part used. You can also use series and or parallel resistors to get what you need.

Whoops, I misplaced a decimal point. 2 watts would be fine.
.3I*.3I*8.2R = 0.82 watts.

Any generic silicon diode would work. A 1n4001 or 1n4007. The purpose is to use the .7 volt drop to raise the 12 volt regulator .7 volts above ground. Since the current through the diode is only about 10mA you usually get about .6 volts. The regulator case must be insulated from ground.

No resistors would be needed since the output voltage will be close to 12.6 volts. Measure before connecting your expensive tubes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.