• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

center tap of heater winding

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am using a EZ81 rectifier tube for my line stage (based on pete millett;s low mu pre but usinf 6080) which is indirectly heated. The 6.3v tap of my transformer is center tap'd. Should I ground the center tap, not connect it, or something else?

If it matters, the gain tube is also indirectly heated, but is heated with a tap from a different transformer -- about which I have the same question, actually.

Thanks,

-d

I dunno if grounding it would be good.The cathode at B+ and the filament inside it at ground potential. -potential arcing?
The cathode would probably be a good bet.(assuming the winding insulation is up to it.)

The CT on the winding for the gain tube can be grounded,or connected to a voltage divider to elevate the filaments a few volts above ground,to help reduce hum. ;)

Thanks for the responses. I think I'll try the cathode first, and if that doesn't work and I have noise I'll move on to something else like grounding.

Why might there be arcing if the heater is at ground? The transformers are 125-0-125 leading to a B+ of about 140V

dhaen said:
I see that on the Low mu pre , Pete has elevated the signal heaters with 2 resistors. If your other winding has a centre tap, then they should connect to this.

DigitalJunkie said:
The CT on the winding for the gain tube can be grounded,or connected to a voltage divider to elevate the filaments a few volts above ground,to help reduce hum. ;)

Pete said that the reason the heater is elevated is that the EL34 in the CCS can only take a limited voltage from plate to heater, and this is to lower that potential. In my case, I am using a solid state CCS and thus a much lower B+ which aleviates this problem.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.