• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Dynaco Mk IV question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The Mark IV if stock is designed to bias to 100 ma at 1.36V (not the 1.56 of the ST 70) thus you would bias to 1V to achieve 40ma per tube. I generally Bias it at 1.3V (95ma total-It measured as the sweet spot for distortion at 1k on an Audio Precision setup).

Sean

Awesome, thanks.
Like I mentioned, I am new to tubes, I've owned a lot of audio gear, and and very picky about the sound, but really limited in electronics itself.
These are the first tube amps I've owned, and now that I have a taste, there'll likely be no end to this new path.
What is the adverse affect to the equipment or tube life if biased too high or too low? Thanks again for your help

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I assume these mkiv are modified as they never came wired for pentode mode from the factory, default configuration for factory or kit units was ultra-linear. (Hallmark of all Hafler designed amplifiers afaik.)

They are frequently modified for triode connection with the screens tied to the plates through small resistors of about 100 ohms. Power so connected would be about 18W.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.