• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Picture of my first tube amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The big circle in the front is in fact the headphone jack. The best spot was on the left side of the transformer but the tubes are heating so it is always possible that the headphone wire touch the tube and melt. So I decided to put it on the front and make a big hole to reach the jack because the wood (oak) is 0.75'' thick.

I am not very good to describe what I hear but for sure it's sound different than my integrated Denon amp (with a headphone jack). I will run the amp for a few hours before doing some serious listening. The only problem is that I have a small hum even if I have routed carefully the wires and used a star ground.

I am usually a solid state and loudspeaker guy, but this amp was so easy to build (and fun) that I am already thinking about building a more powerful amp for normal speakers.

Forgot to put inside picture but there is no PCB, it is point-to-point wiring.

Total cost: 100-120$ US.

Thanks you very much guys.

Dave, I try to finish my Totem Arro Clone first :) I will add this to my future projects list.

The metal work was not so hard even if I did not have the right tools. I did a lot of very small holes :) If you refer to the link that I have provided, the filament grounding is floated with a capacitor to the ground.

The only thing that is missing is a anti-thief feature because I want to bring it at work. Maybe putting the chassis at 350V ?? :devilr:

Very nice work indeed.

The link in your first post seems to be broken. Can you check it? Maybe there is a typing error somewhere in the url.

How far is your Totem project?
I have a pair of Totem Staffs (no DIY :rolleyes: ). Very nice speakers. Don't know how the Arro's sound, the drivers seem to be rather small.

Still I am very curious how far your project is by now !

Salut!

Marc

Thanks for your encouraging comments.

The project section on Headwize is unfortunately down. You should check later. The main URL is: http://www.headwize.com

I have a thread on my Arro Clone (loudspeakers section), as soon as I have new stuff to show, I will post. For now, I got the drivers and the crossover parts. I am still questioning myself if I will use a compensation network or not. Totem says that they use a Linkwits-Reiley "optimized", so I guess this can be interpreted as a impedance compensation network.

And yes, these floorstanders are very small (only 33'') and the mid-range driver is only 4.5''. I am having a lot of fun designing them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.