New Build (Guitar Amp)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ah Yes, The Build of the week here, another Guitar amp
This one is my most complicated build this year, 7 Days from bare chassis to operational.
1955-1960 series Bandmaster 5E7.

I built this to be a head style mount on a nice solid Hammond chassis.

This ones modded in that I tweaked a few caps to get to differently voiced inputs, 1 Normal Channel & 1 Bright Channel.
I added a master volume to allow utilizing the full gain potential of the pre-amp without knocking down the walls with volume:D

The Opt is one that I gave a facelift to, Old Paper icky looking thing inside the nicer top mount end bells. I only hooked up the 4 & 8 Ohm taps, I figured I would never need the 16's anyway.

Interestingly to me, I used to play through an original bandmaster back in the late 60's, I do not remember it sounding nearly this good. I dont know if the messy point to point wiring has contributed to this or if my memory is mush. But, This baby is whisper quiet and screams with the best I have ever heard.

Pics

Front View
Back View

Bottom View
Bottom View2

I'll post more info and maybe a few sound clips this coming week. I wanna burn it in a day or two.
Gene

poobah said:
Nice looking rig Trout! BTW, your wiring is hardly messy. I guess this one works too?

Are you gonna build a nice box for this guy too?

Yep,, This puppy sounds incredible, I have already punched a chassis for a second one. After building this one and reviewing everything closely, I find that If I move this over 3/4 inch, And move that over 1/2 inch, I can shorten several componet leads significantly.

Im building boxes for 2, This thing works well enough to warrant a back up. These are most likely going to see alot of gig action and a back-up is nearly mandatory.
Trout

My Gal bought me a full 25pc set of greenlees at an auction this past summer for $8 bucks. I use those as often as possible, I still hack out the IEC jacks a bit with a dremel, My square greenlee just isnt big enough. Hopefully I'll get nippers for Xmas :xmastree:

I use step drills on the jacks and pots, They work great.

My first amp when I just started in the hobby this past summer I used a drill and a 3/8's inch diameter rat tail file to do the tube socket holes, After 3 octals my arm was like lead! Thats when I told her to watch for the greenlee punches.
Gene

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.