New Build (Guitar Amp) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th December 2005, 11:48 PM   #1
Trout is offline Trout  United States
diyAudio Member

Default New Build (Guitar Amp)

Ah Yes, The Build of the week here, another Guitar amp
This one is my most complicated build this year, 7 Days from bare chassis to operational.
1955-1960 series Bandmaster 5E7.

I built this to be a head style mount on a nice solid Hammond chassis.

This ones modded in that I tweaked a few caps to get to differently voiced inputs, 1 Normal Channel & 1 Bright Channel.
I added a master volume to allow utilizing the full gain potential of the pre-amp without knocking down the walls with volume

The Opt is one that I gave a facelift to, Old Paper icky looking thing inside the nicer top mount end bells. I only hooked up the 4 & 8 Ohm taps, I figured I would never need the 16's anyway.

Interestingly to me, I used to play through an original bandmaster back in the late 60's, I do not remember it sounding nearly this good. I dont know if the messy point to point wiring has contributed to this or if my memory is mush. But, This baby is whisper quiet and screams with the best I have ever heard.

Pics

Front View
Back View

Bottom View
Bottom View2

I'll post more info and maybe a few sound clips this coming week. I wanna burn it in a day or two.
Gene
Old 17th December 2005, 01:32 AM   #2
poobah is offline poobah  United States
diyAudio Member

Nice looking rig Trout! BTW, your wiring is hardly messy. I guess this one works too?

Are you gonna build a nice box for this guy too?
Old 17th December 2005, 01:57 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by poobah
Nice looking rig Trout! BTW, your wiring is hardly messy. I guess this one works too?

Are you gonna build a nice box for this guy too?
Yep,, This puppy sounds incredible, I have already punched a chassis for a second one. After building this one and reviewing everything closely, I find that If I move this over 3/4 inch, And move that over 1/2 inch, I can shorten several componet leads significantly.

Im building boxes for 2, This thing works well enough to warrant a back up. These are most likely going to see alot of gig action and a back-up is nearly mandatory.
Trout
Old 17th December 2005, 02:03 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Do you have punches for sheetmetal? OR do drill and dremel?
Old 17th December 2005, 03:59 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

My Gal bought me a full 25pc set of greenlees at an auction this past summer for $8 bucks. I use those as often as possible, I still hack out the IEC jacks a bit with a dremel, My square greenlee just isnt big enough. Hopefully I'll get nippers for Xmas

I use step drills on the jacks and pots, They work great.

My first amp when I just started in the hobby this past summer I used a drill and a 3/8's inch diameter rat tail file to do the tube socket holes, After 3 octals my arm was like lead! Thats when I told her to watch for the greenlee punches.
Gene
Old 17th December 2005, 02:30 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Cool... Iwas going to tell you about the step drill... but your all over it. You'ld be surprised how many peolple don't know about them.

Lookin good!

Hide this!Advertise here!